Pages

Special Thanks

This is the first time I'm actually doing this on this section of the website.

When I started taking my writing seriously and really committed to creating a career out of writing, I was inspired to put up my own website. The inspiration came from a writer who is also committed to her craft: Emily Conrad. Subsequently, Emily is now one of my critique partners.

Anyway, when the website was going up, I decided that I wanted to have a YA reviews section. I write YA, so why not review them? I certainly read an awful lot, just like you, dear reader. Why not share the experience, right?

With that in mind, I surfed the net for other book blogs that inspire me. In that search, I found Lynsey Newton, the real reason for this Special Thanks.

Lynsey, like all of us, has a blog called Narratively Speaking, which has become one of my frequent haunts.

During one of her In My Mailbox posts, I noticed that she had Ash by Malinda Lo. I've planned to buy this book when it became available, so like many of my comments when it comes to IMM posts, I expressed my envy. If you click on the link, you'll actually see my shameless comment there.  

I moved on with my life after that, and actually forgot that I made the comment, until I opened my email on May 11th (my birthday). Among the list was an email with the heading: ASH. I didn't think much of it until  I opened the mail. Imagine my ecstatic reaction after I read the email. Lynsey, THE Lynsey from Narratively Speaking, wanted to send me a copy of ASH by Melinda Lo. I'd died for a second and saw heaven. My brain had gotten incoherent, but I managed to reply along the lines of a thank you and that it was my birthday and that I lived in the Philippines. I was shocked that I managed to spell out my address properly.

About a week or so later, Lynsey emailed me again saying ASH has been sent. Another "Joy" dance ensued. And I replied. I'm so sorry for misspelling your name in that reply, Lynsey. Totally, totally am.

At lunch today, the doorbell rang. Dadders (my father) got up and answered. I was paying more attention to my mother's sweet and sour fish fillet. He came back and asked if we knew anyone named Lynsey Newton. The name didn't click at first. And when it did, my heart stopped. Died and saw heaven again in the form of a bubble wrap envelop.

Here are the pictures to prove it:


This was after lunch and I managed to get my heart going again. Blocked out the address a bit. But, anyway, I  had already opened the envelop at the table with my parents. They were as happy as I was. It was like we won the Lottery. Another "Joy" dance was choreographed.


Here's the book with its gorgeous cover. Second act of the "Joy" dance follows.


Here's a close up of Lynsey's sticky post note, which I will keep until it literally turns to dust. I will even hand it down to my children and my children's children. Excessive? I know. Way too happy right now to think properly.

So, with all that written down, a big/huge/ultimate THANK YOU, Lynsey. You've made my day! Thank you so much for your great posts and your contest links. Thank you for thinking of sending me the book. Thank you for actually taking the time and expense to send the book. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. That is brilliant! :D Awesome package Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was the highlight of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so sweet Kate, I'm glad you like it and you're very welcome :)

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.