Pages

Blogger Interview: Wondrous Reads



About the Blogger:

My name's Jenny, I'm 23 years old and I live in the UK. I used to work as a bookseller for Borders in the UK, for almost two and a half years. Now I'm between jobs, and hoping to get something book related.

I mostly review YA/teen books, though I do also review some middle grade/9-12 titles. I'll read the occasional adult novel, especially if it involves vampires, epic romances or is written by Sophie Kinsella.

I first started Wondrous Reads in January 2009. I'd been posting my reviews on Amazon for quite a while, and came home from work one night and suddenly had the idea to start a blog. I quickly made friends within the blogosphere, and I love the whole YA community. Starting my blog is one of the best things I've ever done - I love it!

I'm a huge Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight fan, and work on a couple of related sites. I've been a staff member on BellaAndEdward.com since March 2008, and have been writing Twilight Saga news for ReelzChannel.com since March 2009.

I also love other TV shows, music, films, vampires, tennis and the Titanic.

About the Blog:

I review any and all YA/teen books, some middle grade/9-12 and the occasional adult book. I can't 100% guarantee I'll review every book I'm sent, though I do consciously try to read everything that comes through, and they are ALWAYS shown/mentioned in my weekly 'In My Mailbox' post. Sometimes I'll receive a book that I just don't like the sound of, and in those instances I'll usually pass them on to a friend or the local library.

I'm not currently accepting e-books or self-published books for review. I don't have the time at the moment, but maybe in the future!

I'll try to post a book review as near to the release date as possible, though there are only so many blog posts in a week, which does make this difficult. I write honest reviews, and if I don't like a book, I'll say so, but will also try and focus on the positive aspects. All reviews are also posted on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com, depending whether it's a US or UK publication.

I grade the books I read from A+ to D. It's a new rating system I've been trying out in 2010, and it seems to be working okay so far.



Interview:

1. How long have you been blogging?

Since January 17th, 2009.

2. Why did you decide to blog?

I used to write my reviews on the Amazon and Borders sites, and had been reading a couple of US YA blogs which I thought were great. I came home from work one Saturday night and just suddenly decided to start my own - there was no big plan or anything, I just thought it'd be cool to have my own site and all my reviews in one place. It's probably one of the only times I've been spontaneous!

3. What books do you blog about and why?

I mostly blog about YA, because I love it. My favourite books and authors are YA, and I can't think of anything else I'd blog about. I also review some middle grade books, and the occasional adult title - usually vampire related.

4. What memes can be found on your blog?

I participate in a couple of weekly memes - In My Mailbox and Waiting on Wednesday. IMM is great for finding new books, and I love seeing everyone's pictures. I also do a US Vs. UK cover post every Thursday, though I don't think you'd call it a meme. I've been doing that pretty much since I started blogging!

5. What is your review style like?

I like to think my reviews are quite personal, and reflective of my own reading experience. I always write honest reviews, and if something didn't work for me, I'll say so. I'm never mean though, because I know that even if I didn't like a book, someone else will. I'm not an overly critical person in real life, and I'm guessing that shows through in my approach to reviewing books -- I read for enjoyment, not to pick them apart. Obviously I don't like everything, but that's to be expected.

6. If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

British! I read and review a lot of UK books, and I do tend to use words like 'ace', 'brilliant' and 'rather' quite a lot.

7. What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

I'd say just enjoy yourself, and never ever see it as a job or a chore. You should enjoy blogging, and not feel any pressure or stress. If ever it feels like it's all getting on top of you, have a break. We all need them.

8. What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

I don't actually actively try and get followers, because I don't know how! Also, I think people should follow my blog because they genuinely want to - what's the point of having thousands of followers if they aren't really interested? I do tweet blog links on Twitter, which I suppose you could class as promotion. Aside from that, I don't really put myself out there - I just comment, read and participate in the community.

9. If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

I hope people just find my reviews helpful, and see that I'm truly passionate about reading and YA. Also, taking away a new-found love for vampires, Buffy and all things Joss Whedon wouldn't go amiss ;)

10. What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

Lots more reviews of UK and US YA, some cool interviews, a week dedicated to Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick, UK publisher spotlights, more vampire lovin' and far too many book cover debates. I'm pretty excited about it all - as you can tell, I love blogging!


~pRoPhEcY gIrL~

Blogger Remarks:

Thank you so much for the fascinating look into your blogging life, Jenny. Thank you for being a part of this series. For those who want to visit Wondrous Reads, you can do so by clicking on the blog button featured at the top of this post. Next week, we have the pleasure of reading about Alex from More Than Just a Book.

2 comments:

  1. Great blogger :) I love your interviews Kate. Good job. I'm checking this blogger out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like the series, Savy! I'm an avid reader of Wondrous Reads.

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.