Pages

BOOKS THAT CHANGE LIVES FOR JUST £2




The special post today is very special indeed. It's for a great cause that I hope more people around the world can be a part of. I met Swetha through Book Blogs. She emailed me about my novels, and when she told me about herself, I found out about Book Aid. So, I suggested that she write the special post for today. There were supposed to be pictures with this post, but they wouldn't load properly, so I changed them to videos instead. And, without further ado, I give the blog to Swetha.



In a library in the Mathare slum in Nairobi, Kenya, children pore over donated books. There is no celebration here, just a deep appreciation of the limited books that these kids have to get by.








These are children with no television, music, or computers, and books are all they have. It’s difficult to comprehend this, while I’m sitting in front of my laptop, typing this article and listening to music; all of which are a vital part of my life. For them, the library is a haven, a place to learn, to interact and rise above issues like tribalism; to explore new worlds and to enjoy the simple pleasure of reading.








I am doing my internship with See The Difference, which is a video site where you can literally see the difference you can make to charity projects all around the world. We have more than 145 projects on the site, but this Book Aid project to fill up Mathare Library is one of my favourites… I’m not sure if it’s because of my recent spell at University, and I know from personal experience how vital libraries can be, or if its just the power of the video? Maybe both!








If you have a couple of minutes to spare, please go on to the site and watch the video. If you like it, we hope you’ll share it with all the other book lovers you know! It’s such a great cause, and just £2 for a book, that’s for so much more than just reading, is an amazing gift.


Here’s the link: http://www.seethedifference.org/charities/book-aid-international/books-for-kenyan-slum-libraries


Thanks very much to Kate, who kindly agreed to publish this guest post for me.


Swetha
See The Difference

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the welcome to the ning. Saw your message and thought I'd stop by. I'm your newest follower! Hope you have a great day.

    http://pitchingpencils.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.