Pages

Blogger Interview: The Life (and lies) of an inanimate flying object


About the Blogger:

My name is Haley, also known on various social networking sites as Haleyknitz and Jim Victoria on Facebook (...long story there). I'm a former homeschooler and am transfering to Western Carolina University to study Criminal Justice and Literature... and who knows what else. My favorite things to do are knitting, reading, bike riding, writing books, classical French and Russian ballet, horse back riding, designing websites, baking and decorating cakes, and playing the piano and the recorder by ear. My last name is mis-pronounced so many times that I don't mind anymore and I've got just enough Irish blood in me to explain the pale skin, green eyes, and hair that doesn't want to be red or brown but must be both. I'm a bit of a quirk, and have a tendency to ramble on... and on... and on... I talk to the voices in my head (don't get too scared I promise they won't hurt you) and when I get inspired to write a book, it takes over my life.

About the Blog:



Book reviews, contests, interviews, and other bookish type things. I mainly focus on young adult fiction, some adult fiction, and Christian fiction, but also some kids books, crafty stuff, and cookbooks.



Interview:

How long have you been blogging?

September 1 is my one-year book blogoversary! But I've been blogging on various personal blogs for almost six years.

Why did you decide to blog?

...well, actually, it's the title of one of my former diaries... (yes I name every single one of them...and there are a lot of them) as far as how I picked it, I had just finished the Harry Potter series (hence 'the life and lies' of Albus Dumbledore) and the rest just seemed like an oxymoron, and the whole thing had a nice ring to it. So that's the mystery behind The life and lies of an inanimate flying object!

What books do you blog about and why?

I mostly blog about young adult books, some adult fiction/romance, and christian fiction, because those are the categories I read and write. I also knit, so I review some knitting and craft books too.

What memes can be found on your blog?

I don't do a lot of memes only because I'm busy (college!!) and I don't have the patience. Sometimes I do a once-a-week meme called "this week at the life and lies" where I show you the books I got, and then blab a little on what's going on in my life.

What is your review style like?

I start with a summary, then talk about plot and pacing, characters, and prose. sometimes, if it's necessary, I mention language and content at the bottom of my review... because sometimes, people want to know before they run into something they may be offended by, right? but then sometimes I break from that... I consider reviews persuasive essays: I liked it, this is why you should read it, or I didn't like it, this is why you shouldn't bother. and then the occasional I don't know if I liked it or not and this is why it's confusing me.

If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

Oh brother *rolls eyes* I can't even describe myself in a sentence, let alone my blog in a word... How 'bout "Eclectic?" because even though the majority of my reviews are YA, Adult, Christian Fiction, and Knitting, there are other ones sprinkled in there too (kids books, cooking, health, exercise, memoir, Christian living etc.) plus I post my knitting patterns and excerpts of my novels on my blog, too... so yeah. Eclectic.

What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

Be 110% Honest, and write with your own voice. I want to hear your opinion spoken in your voice, in my head. Sound like a real person, not a student writing a paper. Don't get concerned about writing "the best review ever" just because you liked the book and you want the review to sound great and professional... (although it is so important to be professional! publishers won't take you seriously if you're not serious) be more focused on sharing your thoughts and opinions about books in a clear way, and convince people to read (or not read) the book you're talking about. But then of course, don't go crazy (OMG I LOVED IT!!!!!!!! *smileyface*) because that's just obnoxious.

What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

Contests! Most of the time I don't ask contests entrants to become followers, because if you're like me, (sigh. I admit.) you just click the "follow" button and that's the end of that. However, if you do need to up your numbers (maybe you're just starting off and you want to get some followers before you start requesting books?) I'd hold a really nice ARC contest for pre-pub books, and make it followers only. Of course, I learned quickly that even if I have 360 followers, that doesn't mean I have 360 readers. I stopped looking at my numbers a while ago. I look more at my stats (Google Analytics!)

If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

Well there are two things the average human being would take away after reading my blog... they may think A) "ok so she writes her blog the way she talks" because I do. I don't get wrapped up in writing a perfect essay or blog post. I write the way I talk... which may or may not be a good thing! Or they will (probably) think B) "Ok... she's really strange and a little eccentric." Because that's true too... but then all writers are, right? riiight...

What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

In the immediate future, since I'm now in college full time, there will be more promotion and less book reviews (because what college student has time for pleasure reading?). I also want to get into some music reviews and product reviews, but I'm still catering to ages 16-25.

Blogger Remarks:

Haley, thank you so much for granting the interview. I remember when I stumbled onto your blog, I thought to myself, I have to interview this person. So, with that said, may the blogging continue. To visit Haley's blog, you can click on the blog name featured at the top of this post. Next week, I have the honor of interviewing Liz from The Book Girl Reads.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Kate!

    Great interview!!! thanks for emailing me through Book Blogs. I'm your newest follower! I love your reviews, especially on Beautiful Creatures. I agree completely with the fact that I was hooked either on Ethan and Lena's relationship.

    I'd love it if you stopped by my blog!
    Angela Z
    http://thebookbuzzer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my page. Your page is very appealing to the eye. :)

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.