Pages

Blogger Interview: Bibliophile Brouhaha


About the Blog:

bibliophile brouhaha is about 1) books; 2) news related to books; and 3) any fun items that relate to books or writing in general which I might have an obsession with at the moment. For instance, in the last couple of days, I've posted one review, one piece of news related to the book selling industry, and I just found the neatest Edgar Allen Poe candle that I am thinking about posting. Inspiration is everywhere! As for the genres I read and review, you will find a little of everything: adult fiction, YA fiction, paranormal, etc. I haven't posted yet on any nonfiction, but I do read that, too. Eventually, it will pop up. I currently am very into both adult and YA paranormal books, but hey, who isn't right now?

About the Blogger:

Linds from bibliophile brouhaha is a bona fide news junkie and book lover. She grew up and still lives in the Pittsburgh area, but she she also has lived in Colorado, New Mexico and Ohio. She's a former news reporter, but now works in promotions and recruitment. Her burning ambition is to be a librarian, but higher education is expensive! Imagination has been her best friend since she started thinking, and books have been her partners-in-crime since age seven. She welcomes your comments and suggestions at bibliophile.brouhaha@gmail.com.



Interview:


How long have you been blogging?

I’ve been blogging since mid-October. Yep, I’m a newbie, but I love it so much already! My fiancĂ© is starting to feel neglected. At that, I merely point to the TV – 9 times out of 10, there’s sports on! Hey, we live in Pittsburgh – people here are slightly obsessed with their sports!

Why did you decide to blog?

bibliophile brouhaha wasn’t a bolt of lightning or a major brainchild of mine or anything. In fact, it was more of a no brainer. Like most book bloggers out there, I read. A lot. Incessantly. I also talk a lot about what I read, and unfortunately, I probably talk to people who couldn't care less (I am one of those people who talks to perfect strangers in restaurants). I didn't feel like I was getting what I needed out of the one book club I belong to, so I started perusing the internet. I realized there is a whole community of book bloggers whom I can converse with - voila! bibliophile brouhaha was born!

What books do you blog about and why?

I read a little bit of everything, but I L.O.V.E. young adult literature. There’s something transcendental about YA. When you ‘grow up’, you start looking around you, at your environment, and there rarely is the same emphasis or opportunity for self-improvement and personal development that you have when you are in high school and college. Well, there is, but they call it ‘professional development’, and it’s simply not the same. People start forgetting to reach inwards and bring out the best of themselves. I love that aspect of YA – there is this sense that you are growing as a person right along with the protagonist. It’s not that this doesn’t happen in adult literature, but you don’t see it as much – there isn’t this “never say die” attitude. In adult lit, there is the same old drama, but the stakes are higher, and sometimes there is this defeatist attitude, this way of thinking that life has you beat sometimes.

I also blog about paranormal books, both YA and adult. I have loved anything ghost/vampire/witch related since I was very small. The books of Betty Ren Wright, the Nina Tanleven series, these were favorites of mine! In fact, a big factor that finally made me start blogging was my obsession with Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series – my vey first post was about it! I’m a Vlad girl myself.

What memes can be found on your blog?

I’ve just started, but I take part in Book Blogger Hop, Follow Friday, In My Mailbox and Waiting on Wednesdays. It’s been a great way to meet other bloggers, and I’ve found some great books to read, too!

What is your review style like?

Good question! Like my taste in books, my review style is variable. It usually reflects the tone of the book I’ve reviewed. If the book’s tone was serious in nature, then that’s the way my review will be. If the book is snarky, my review will be, too. I post the publishing info, the synopsis, and then give my review and usually add some favorite quotes. I always give a grade, too, although I think I would like to develop a unique rating system. In fact, I have a master plan to redo the entire look of my blog!

If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

Informative. I’m an infojunkie, so I tend to put anything on my blog that I find interesting. Industry news, book news, film adaptation news . . . you name it, and I probably have a news alert for it! I get so excited when I hear or read something new about the things I love. It’s why my blog has the name it does – I want it to be a place of noisy interaction and excitement for book lovers.

What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

Don’t just blog to say you blog. Blog because you love what you are blogging about. I happen to love reading, writing and editing. I am not saying that I am super talented at it, but it’s something I love to do, and so blogging about books is a natural for me. Sincere interest shines through and people will see that. If you love what you do, then I believe that any secondary goals will follow.

Another piece of advice - I feel a personal responsibility to my followers to post pertinent and timely information. I appreciate that they think what I have to say is worth making a note of in their blog readers. So, I am going to do my best to make sure that I give them a reason to look at my blog on a regular basis. This is just me, but since I used to be a reporter, I approach blogging with a journalist’s mentality.

What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

I am showing my newbie stripes here, but I haven’t really done anything yet other than participate in weekly memes. I’ve been having a good time getting to know the community, though. It’s only been two weeks, but I think most of my followers have come through participating in these. I would like to maybe run a giveaway soon, though. I just got to figure out how, haha! Where does everyone get these wonderful free books to give away? My extra cash goes to gas, library fines (whoops), and school loans!

If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

I want them to know that reading is a lifelong passion of mine, and I love to share it! I will always do to my best to give them my honest opinion and make my blog a fun place to visit.

What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

More reviews! I see that as the most important part of my blog. My goal is to read at least two books and post reviews on them every week. After all, it’s why I started doing this in the first place.

Blogger Remarks:

I'd like to thank Linds for giving me a chance to interview her. You have to hop on to her blog, dear reader. I love the way she reviews books. Really insightful. I can only dream that one day she reviews mine when they come out. To visit her blog, click on this link: http://bibliophilebrouhaha.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Kate! The pleasure was all mine!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blogand that is why I follow.I think she has avery unique idead about the book news. I always look forward to reading those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thank you to both Savannah and especially to you, Kate! I had a lot of fun doing the interview!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today is a very "Getting to know Linds Day" and I love it :) I always look forward to your Thursday News Roundup posts. Now that I know your background in journalism, your success here makes a lot of sense :)

    Keep up the awesome work! Bibliophile Brouhaha is one of my favorite blogs to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linds! Freaking fascinating.

    I started book blogging for the same reasons. My RL book club was so freaking lame. We would only meet once a month and some people didn't even read the book! They couldn't finish one book in a month? What?

    I also got frustrated with my classes because I love YA lit as well, and that is not what we were reading or discussing in class. I will never forget when my professor called me unread because I admitted my love for YA and not "real" literature. Hence my blog name. *giggles*

    Great interview Linds. Thanks so much for all the great information you share on all things exciting for readers!

    P.S. Love that pic of you. You're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.