Pages

Blogger Interview: The Snappy Dragon



About the Blog:

The Snappy Dragon lives in a cave somewhere off the coast of a pretty island. Frequents old baroque castles as haunts as well, and counts the Loch Ness Monster as a trusted confidante.

An eco-kid who writes about books, academic stuff, scientific stuff, poetry, things related to reading, things related to writing, books turned to movies, books turned to TV shows, and all things bookish.

Remember, refreshingly intelligent opinions come free, "snappy" retorts and witty quips too, it's standard operating procedure of course!

Comments are encouraged! Put your voice into the written word as well and earn your two cents.

About the Blogger:

Sri would describe herself as someone who is "Human, thinks and talks, sometimes way too much of both!" and as a writer, poet, and psychoanalyst first and foremost. Sri is an Honors student at Kent State University and a Psychology & English double major. She plans on a career in the field of Cognitive Neuropsychology as a researcher and professor. She's been previously published in Exhalations Art Magazine and the Ralph Munn Creative Writing Anthology, and is a winner of the Perryman Writing Award. Sri is currently finishing a novel, and you can find her here too: http://greenologymag.com, as a blogger/writer/contributor. In her rare moments of free time Sri enjoys reading novels & poetry, writing novels & poetry, hanging out with friends, watching "Friends," black and white photography, black and white films, travel, and indulging in every opportunity to shop. She's also on Twitter, which she uses to keep people posted on new posts and book reviews on her blog, follow her @TheSnappyDragon and @Sri_Siddhi :-)



Interview:

1. How long have you been blogging?

I have been blogging since June 8th, 2010 – so I’m still a new kid on the block J

2. Why did you decide to blog?

I decided to blog because I have always enjoyed reading and writing, and as someone who wants to live and breathe these processes through my own personal and career goals, I thought it would be rewarding to create and blog; because it’s important to experience all avenues of reading and writing to truly understand the art. I also enjoy reading blogs in general as well, and applied to be a student blogger representative for my university so I thought it would be a good way to learn the ropes!

3. What books do you blog about and why?

I blog about any type of book and any book that piques my fancy! I can’t choose a particular favorite genre, so my blog reflects that eclectic nature. In turn, I find that my potpourri of book reviews tends to garner the interest of a vast and diverse audience.

4. What memes can be found on your blog?

I have two prominent memes on my blog, the first is for my book reviews which I call “Read is the New Black,” and the second is just for my musings and interesting things I find and want to share with my readers, titled “Random Rant.” I also have the meme “Movie Rant” for my film reviews and thoughts, as well as the meme “Pulse Point” for current themes in culture I’d like to discuss, such as fashion, trends, music genres, or literature. I also like to routinely do posts relating to psychology and eco-awareness two areas of interest near and dear to me, since I’m a student and a contributor for Greenology Magazine.

5. What is your review style like?

My review style is definitely narrative, rather than just focusing on the aesthetic qualities of the book’s cover and its physical features. I tend to write reviews like an article, starting and ending with an attention grabber. I aim to write about how the book affected me, and interesting symbols or themes I found. I also love including my own character analysis, because chances are if I’m reviewing the book, I’m passionate about it, and if I’m passionate about it I really related to and could put myself in the place of the characters. I believe that’s the true mark of any great read. Authors have definitely appreciated my detailed response to their novels! I also add in quotes from my favorite sections to give my readers a taste of the book. I tend to often relate my reviews to a theme relevant to a larger audience in a sense that focuses on current societal events as well.

To see links to my book reviews, and my book review policy on my blog The Snappy Dragon, I invite you to please visit the link below to learn more:

http://snapdragonsun.blogspot.com/p/snappy-dragons-book-review-policy.html

Thank you!


6. If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

Thoughtful. I chose this word because I always follow my personal mantra “I blog for a reason, so I post with a purpose.”

By this, I mean that I started my blog for a reason: to connect and communicate my passion for literature related matters with other such people, and so my posts should contribute to this purpose in some way. Otherwise it’s frivolous, and can dim the worth of the rest of your blog and drag it down.

It is easy to get caught up in the numbers game: how many followers you have, how many blogs there are out there, how will you ever be unique and get noticed? It’s hard not to be discouraged, and though I’m still new at the game, I’ve seen how special it can be when even just one person (even if it is a friend) takes the time to thoughtfully appreciate a well-thought out post on your part. Because remember people can always be reading, even if they’re not commenting. The key to getting comments is to write something worth getting comments on. Something not just for the sake of posting and getting your two cents out there like the boisterous pompous person who can’t ever shut up. But something stimulating, something you care about - because that shows through in your writing and then your reader will care that you care.

7. What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

I would definitely advise using images in your blog posts, I always try to include a picture of the cover for the book I’m reviewing, and if I’m blogging about something else I put in a graphic, because it invokes interest and gives your page more depth. There are plenty of legal resources such as picapp.com, and you can always site the source in parentheses underneath the image too.

8. What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

Well, first off, as I said previously, it’s definitely important not to get caught up in the follower count, just make sure you’re saying something with a reason and the readers will follow J

Aside from that, I always make sure to respond to a person’s comment on my post so that they can see that I’m not simply posting to get comments, but that I’m interested in a “thoughtful” exchange of ideas. It also shows that I’m respecting the time they took to read and respond to my post, by returning the favor and reading, responding, and thanking them for their comments. It’s always important to show you appreciate your readership and cultivate this rapport; no one wants to feel like they’re typing to themselves!

I’m a firm believer in social networking, it really is not so overwhelming now that it’s easy to sync everything to update the minute you click “publish post” on your blog! Some of the outlets I use to publish news about my blog are Twitter (@TheSnappyDragon and @Sri_Siddhi), The Snappy Dragon’s Facebook fan page, Networked Blogs, and Technorati, which is a blog directory. I’ve connected to a lot of really inspiring bloggers and writers, and like-minded people this way as well. It’s a great community for people who take books and blogging seriously! I also use SNSAnalytics, TweetDeck, and HootSuite which connect to my Twitter accounts so that I can set automatic updates for my blog posts. I also joined several blog networks to connect with other bloggers, book bloggers, authors, and writers. These include, YALITCHAT.org, The Ya Blogosphere, 20 Something Bloggers, and of course, Book Blogs where I “met” Kate!

9. If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

I hope that they’ll learn something new and find something interesting they haven’t read or heard about before J

10. What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

I’ve been writing creatively for a long time now, and have completed my first manuscript for my first novel, a work that took me three years to finish. I’m also taking a poetry class in the spring semester at my university to finer tune my writing. So a lot of my posts are going to be about various parts of the writing and publishing process, books and book reviews of course, more eco friendly posts, and a lot of reflection on my own writing that I hope my readers can give me feedback on. Since I’m a psychology and English major, I also enjoy posting articles about research that relates to the work I’m doing and learning about. I’ll stay true to the diverse types of posting I do for my varied audience and I hope they’ll enjoy the journey along with me on my reading and writing adventures!

Blogger Remarks:

I met Sri on Book Blogs. I posted my customary welcome on her comments section when she first joined, and when I visited her blog, I thought to myself that I needed to feature her on the Blogger Interview series. There are so many fascinating bloggers out there, that's why I do this. So, Sri, thank you for giving me your time and answering my questions. And, dear reader, please take the time to say hello to Sri at The Snappy Dragon: http://snapdragonsun.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. That was a wonderful interview...I have to learn a lot from such wonderful bloggers...

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.