Pages

Author Interview: Anna Y. White


This is a story of a teenage girl, Natalya Orlova, who moves to Hungary to get a university degree. Unknown definition of 'cultural shock' becomes central, shortly after she finds herself completely alone in foreign Budapest with no parents, friends and no language. Can she keep up with such a radical change? Can she trust those people around her? What is the price of wanting something badly?

About the Author:

I was born in Belarus, Minsk, on Dec 12 1985. When I was 18 I left to study abroad, to Hungary actually, and earned a BA in INternational Relations and MSc in MArketing Management (all in English). And I have always been writing poems and small stories, since I was 11 I think in Russian, but I never published anything I wrote I don't even know myself why. So The Change is my first book, which I think is rather deep and emotional book, because it speaks about problems all of us go through. I currently resident in Budapest and work on the book's sequel.


Interview:

1. When did you decide to start writing?

I have always been writing something, anything, whether it was poetry or small stories. My dad is a song composer, so I sort of inherited the gift of to be able to write from him. But my emotional experience about being abroad in particular inspired me to write my first big book, because I felt like I have a lot to share with the world.

2. What is your genre and why did you decide to write a novel in it?

I would put 'The Change' under young adult fiction section. I decided to write for young adults because I believe when people are young they have a lot of things going on, they are able to explore themselves and choose what they want. For many that's the period when big changes take place. So I thought that those people, who consider going abroad to study, live, work etc., may learn a lot of things about the process before actually doing it. I want people to see clearer the options on the example of my characters, experience their emotions and learn something useful from the book and the storyline. I really hope people can relate and extract something for themselves and also avoid typical mistakes people make when they are suddenly in a different, unknown environment on their own, with a lot of responsibilities on their shoulders on one hand and a lot of temptations of all new on the other hand.

3. Were you worried about the word count of your work?

No. When I started writing I knew I won't finish in one book, because my characters are detailed and complex. So I felt like they need space and stopped looking at word count after my page number hit 250. I still feel that they need space:) so the sequel of "The Change" is in works, where my characters face different problems and become a bit more mature in other aspects, not just adaptation to everything new.

4. Do you have any writing quirks and what are they?

I'm a very tidy person. So if anything on my desk isn't like I left it, I simply cannot write. I clean first. Another thing: I can't just write anywhere. I need my desk.

5. If you can describe your novel in one word, what would it be and why?

Deep. Because it's all about emotions and feelings, whether it's love or friendship or even adaptation.

6. How did you decide on the title and what does it mean?

Change means change;). Change of moving place, change of heart, appearance, change of points of view, change of personalities - that's all inside the novel. "Change" was the first word I typed when I opened my Word.

7. What do you hope your readers will get out of reading your novel?

Experience, first of all. I hope the novel can help them to go through the change they have in their lives, because sooner or later all of us go through something like that. Support always comes handy and this book can be your friend.

8. Tell us a little about your road to publication.

I'm currently taking that road. I'm doing a lot of research where to publish, with whom and how. I really would like this book to obtain a hard copy looks as well apart from e-format.

9. What advice can you give other aspiring authors out there?

If this is what you love doing-do it. Don't put it on the back burner, because someone says you should be a lawyer, doctor, economist etc.

Blogger Remarks:

It's always great to get to know different authors from around the world. Everyone has a story to tell. So, I would like to take this time to thank you, Anna, for taking the time to be a part of my Author Interview series. It was a pleasure having you. If you want to know more about Anna and her work, dear reader, you can visit:

Sample or purchase The Change: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/32008
Blog: http://annaywhite.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds as if it would be a great read and I enjoyed reading the interview as well.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.