Pages

Blogger Interview: Adventures in All Things Reading and Writing

About the Blog:

I'm a huge believer in writers helping writers, and my blog reflects that. I try to keep my topics relevant to writers and that includes blogging about techniques, conferences, workshops, publishing, and of course books. My blog is titled "Adventures in All Things Reading and Writing" because that's exactly what it is--my adventures as a writer and avid reader. I share tips, links, etc that have helped me and that I hope will help others. I feature debut authors to get the word out about their books, and I praise seasoned authors for the books that make me run for the bookstores. And on occasion, I embarrass myself by revealing the interesting quirks in my personality.

About the Blogger:

I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading and writing. I was the girl who went to the mall, not to shop, but to read. I'd stop at the bookstore to buy a book and then proceed to follow my family around with my nose in the book. Yes, that resulted in a few accidents, but they were all worth it. My love of reading naturally turned me into a writer. I've published over forty short stories in various children's magazines and anthologies, and my first picture book, MAY THE BEST DOG WIN, is coming out through FutureWord Publishing in Spring 2011. I believe a love of books is the most important thing you can instill in a child, and I write because I want to be a part of that. I'm lucky enough to have the two best jobs in the world, Mom and writer.

Interview:

1. How long have you been blogging?

I started blogging in 2009, but I was not very consistent with it at all. In 2010, I decided I was going to really commit myself to the blog and work up to three posts a week. Once I got into it, it became a lot easier, and now I look forward to blogging every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

2. Why did you decide to blog?

I'm a writer and I really wanted to reach out to other writers and avid readers. I love talking about books and everything related to writing. After following a lot of great blogs that feature upcoming books and writing tips, I wanted to do my part in sharing what I've learned. As a member of the writing community, I think it's important to give back and pass along what you learn on your own journey.

3. What books do you blog about and why?

I blog about books that I read and can't stop talking about. Usually they are young adult and middle grade novels because those are the age groups I write for most. But I also love helping debut authors by featuring their new releases on my blog and holding contest giveaways. So far I've focused on all ages of children's books, but on occasion a great adult title will sneak in there.

4. What memes can be found on your blog?

If it has to do with writing and/or reading, you'll find it on my blog. I'm not sure if I'd consider these things memes. It depends if you are an avid reader or writer. But my blog covers everything in the publishing industry--writing tips, agents, editors, queries, and of course authors, both new and well-known.

5. What is your review style like?

Very positive. I don't like to disrespect any author because as a writer, I know how that would make me feel. So I tend to focus on the positives, and if I really have a hard time finding positives, then I won't review it. I also don't do traditional reviews. I like to zero in on an aspect of the book that really stands out and then gush over it. I would hate to say too much in a review and ruin an unexpected part of a book for a potential reader.

6. If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

Quirky. I speak my mind and I'm not afraid to embarrass myself. I love admitting strange things about the way I write and even my reading habits. For instance, I read while running on a treadmill and I come up with my best writing ideas in the shower. My motto has always been, if you're normal, you're boring. I'd rather be quirky.

7. What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

Let your blog reflect who you are. There's nothing worse than reading a blog where something just seems forced because the blogger is trying to come across as something they're not.

8. What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

Honestly, the best way I've found to get followers is to follow other people. The more you are on other blogs, the more people will come to yours because they'll recognize your name. Now, I do on occasion host giveaways and those definite get you more followers too.

9. If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

There's no better place to be than between the pages of a good book. Hopefully my readers will feel that way about my books in the near future.

10. What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

Deeper insights into the world of publishing, more features on debut authors, and of course my own quirky reactions to some great books.

Blogger Remarks:

Thank you so much Kelly for participating in this series. It's an honor to have you share your blogging style with our dear readers. If you want to know more about Kelly's blog, you can visit: http://www.kellyhashway.com/

2 comments:

  1. Nice interview! Her review style if very interesting, and I like it. :)

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.