Pages

Blogger Interview: Reading, Writing, and the World of Words

My days have been so jumbled up, dear readers, that I hardly remember the last time I stuck to the schedule I set for myself. This has got to end. I have to get back onto the proverbial horse and ride it properly, not upside down or backwards.




It's Blogger Interview day, and I have a new one for you! Dear readers, meet Genna from Reading, Writing, and the World of Words. Genna, tell us a little about yourself.

Genna Sarnak is a 23-year-old bibliophile living outside of New York City. Currently a publicist, she has been writing and reading avidly since the 3rd grade. Formally, her writing has appeared in a number of small anthologies and journals, including The Apprentice Writer, Chantarelle’s Notebook, Baby Clam Press, Up and Under: the QND Review, and TeenInk.

What about Reading, Writing, and the World of Words?

A brand new blog, Reading, Writing, and the World of Words reviews books, talk about writing, revising, and the creative process, hosts book giveaways, interviews authors, and much more.

We always like something new and shiny. Don't we, dear readers? Let's get to know Genna a little more, shall we? Please state your name, blog title, how long you've been blogging, and dessert of choice for our readers.

My name is Genna Sarnak, my blog is Reading, Writing, and the World of Words, and my dessert of choice, hands down, is cupcakes! Yum!


Another cupcake lover! *tackle hug* My personal favorite of late are these delectable Red Velvet Cupcakes from a local store here. Every time I think of them...*shakes head* We can't afford to get distracted. Let's get back to the interview. Why did you decide to call your blog Reading, Writing, & the World of Words? Is there a specific meaning to this title?

I wanted to call the blog something that wouldn't limit my content. I like YA books, but I didn't want to make another YA book blog, as I also love adult fiction and literature. I love to write, but I didn't want to pigeonhole myself into any one category. My blog, like me, is a smorgasbord of (hopefully) interesting and useful information for fellow readers and writers! It's a mouthful I know, and it's really hard to say five times fast (try it, I dare you!), but it works for me!

Everything but the kitchen sink, I see. But that's a good thing. Having a well-rounded blog allows for a variety of content. I wholeheartedly agree with you, Genna. Tell us a little about your layout and why you decided to use it.

I went for a simple, easy-to-use layout because I believe the content of a blog should carry it's weight, not it's designs. That being said, I would like to get personalized buttons and a banner for the blog at some point.

Content is key. You're right. But you're also right about wanting to personalize, adding little touches of yourself to the layout to make the place all your own. Why did you decide to blog?

After reading a ton of book blogs, some good and some not so good, I thought, “Hey, I can do that, too!” I wanted to start my own blog to share my love and passion for reading and writing with the literary world. I have always been a very avid reader and writer, so there really weren’t that many adjustments that needed to be made!

I felt the same way when I first started out. I hadn't fully committed to my writing then. But now, my views are shifting. I've realized a few things about myself today, and I'm going to make some changes. I read your content, and I totally enjoy myself at Reading, Writing, and the World of Words. Which makes me curious: What's your review style like?

First, I write the name of the book I’m reviewing, who the author is, how many pages are in it, who the publisher is, and what the first line is. Then I go into any back-story and information that might have brought me to the book. I briefly summarize the plot without giving away any plot points, and typically focus on the writer’s style and craft. My attention is frequently centered on the main characters, as this is the most important aspect of a novel for me. If I find the characters flat or unbelievable, it’s often difficult for me to enjoy the story as a whole or to even finish it. At that point in my review, I try to link the book to a fun aspect, such as an author interview, a giveaway of the book, or some other interactive incentive for readers.

It's always nice to read a comprehensive review with a twist. Connecting the book to something fun helps keep us engaged. That's why I like returning to your site. What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

Don’t get discouraged and keep on posting! It’s easy to look at all the other blogs out there and think, “Who am I to make a blog? Why should anyone care?” But the truth of the matter is that everyone started off as a new blogger at some point. There can never be too many blogs about the same subject if you write passionately and truthfully about what interests you. Also, making blogger friends and connection within the blogging world can be very helpful. Join a book ning network, post on social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, and don’t just promote yourself or your blog. Make friendships and connections with like-minded people in the “blogosphere” and this will strengthen both your blog and your understanding of the blogging world!

I always like an enthusiastic piece of advice. It makes me feel good about what I do. Everyone has a place here. That's what I love about what Blogging has done. Every voice can be heard. Wonderful insight, Genna. And if there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

I want my readers to take away insightful musings about books they might enjoy reading, as well as how to become a better writer. If my readers can take a smile, a cry, or a life lesson away from my blog as well, that would also be more than sufficient! I hope to inspire and motivate people to read and write more, just as many other book bloggers and writers have done for me!

I think this interview alone shows our dear readers how much thought you put into everything that you do. Now, for a couple more questions about you, blogging, and life. First, at the end of the day, what does blogging do for you?

Blogging allows me to tame the voices and ideas in my head. If I can capture my thoughts in a (semi) coherent way and share these with like-minded people, all the better! I love blogging because it's different from creative writing and academic writing, yet it's still challenging and demanding in terms of coming up with new ideas and expressing yourself in a relatable way!

I agree! Blogging is a great outlet. It allows us to share our thoughts with anyone and everyone. As we have another bite of our cupcake of choice, which blog do you envy the most and why?

Too many to list! I most enjoy reading blogs that are well-established and have a cast of authors, as readers can experience different perspectives all within one blog.

Collaborations between many bloggers is a great way to establish a readership. The League of Extraordinary Writers is a blog that features five debut authors. You should check it out if ever you haven't yet. Last question: If you were asked to write a blog entry that could save your life in a pinch, what would it be about?

It would be called, "Book Blogging in a Life and Death Situation: Why I Should Live to Blog Tomorrow."

Nice! I see potential here. What an delightful post this has been, Genna. Thank you so much for giving Reads, Reviews, Recommends some of your time. I know it was long in coming, but better late than never, right?


So, dear readers, head on over to Genna's blog by clicking on the link below:


http://www.gennasarnak.com/


Next week, I'll be featuring Siobhán from Love Fantasy Sci-fi Novels. Until then, blog like there's no tomorrow, dear readers! Onward and beyond!

6 comments:

  1. "Blogging allows me to tame the voices and ideas in my head." ABSOLUTELY. I started out as a VERY reluctant blogger, but now I "get it." It's an entirely different experience from writing a novel, but is rewarding in its own way. Very interesting interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya, Sam! Thanks for stopping by. Can't wait for tomorrow. And it's only until recently that I realized what I wanted my blogging life to be. Genna certainly has a point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys, Kate! Thanks for much for taking the time out to interview me! I look forward to "meeting" more bloggers on R.R.R. very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think that the monkeys would be very angry being stuffed in a barrel. But it's a funny thought though.

    You're very welcome, Genna! I have a blast putting the post together. You'll have to write a Guest Post for me sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm down for writing a guest post for you anytime you want! You're a doll and I love working with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.