Pages

Author Interview: Sherry Soule

Let's start the week off right. I don't know if you haven't heard yet, but there's a new book making its debut at the end of the month. Of course, many books make debuts, so why is this one special? Well, the interview below will let you know. It is my great pleasure to be a part of the Beautifully Broken Blog Tour. And without further ado, I give you author Sherry Soule...

How did you decide on the story of Beautifully Broken?


I’ve always had a morbid fascination with haunted houses and ghosts. I love all things supernatural, and I knew the market was flooded with vampires, fairies, and werewolves, so I decided to make my heroine a sassy witch. Because witches need love too!

The story ARC took a different twist once I decided to add magick to my plot. And it was super fun. The story came alive and I found my “voice.” Shiloh Ravenwolf is kinda my alter (younger) ego. On her father’s side, she comes from a long line of shaman, which are intermediaries between the human and the spirit world. (I am a quarter American Indian, myself.)

On her mother's side, Shiloh is a descendant of heritage witches who studied the craft and embraced their own version of the Wicca. In my Spellbound Series, the narrative is loosely based on the actual Wiccan Religion; however I have taken certain liberties with the portrayal of real witchcraft purely for entertainment purposes.

As a result of adding a magickal theme, I wanted my main characters to live in a spooky town, which gave birth to the idea of the setting: Whispering Pines, California near Muir Woods. A foggy, cursed town full of secrets was the perfect place to set my story. I also have a blog devoted to its haunted history.

Why did you decide to go the Self-Publishing route?

Originally, that was the idea after hearing the Amanda Hocking story, of course. I didn’t expect her wealth and fame, but I knew in my heart that my story had an audience. After many, many rejections from agents, I chose to contact several Indie Publishers. Everybody has to start somewhere and not only are small presses accessible to new writers, they also take unagented submissions.

I had a few offers from indie pubs; however, I decided to publish with Firelight Publishing, which is owned by a family member. And I’ve already blown my entire advance on promos! LOL

What's your advice for those who want to self-publish?

If you decide to go that route, I’d try submitting to indie pubs first. And please have your work professionally edited. Have at least 2 to 3 crit partners review your MS and a few beta readers read it BEFORE you publish. Then hire someone to create a professional book cover and website. Make sure your work sparkles before you publish it.

Thank you so much for having me as a guest, Kate. And I hope your followers will visit me on my blog: http://sherrysoule.blogspot.com/ where I’m holding several contests and giveaways.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Samantha! And thanks again, Kate for having me as a guest. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am both nervous and excited. BB is out on eBook and in five days it will be released in print. *biting nails*

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.