Pages

Guest Post: Sideways – Arriving at Your Writing Destination

I love meeting authors and sharing what they have to say with all of you. Today, I have the great pleasure of introducing to you Kenya, who I met over at Book Blogs. You have to take a read at what she's written for all of you today. If you have any questions for her, please added them to the comments section and she'll be glad to interact with you.

Sideways – Arriving at Your Writing Destination
By Kenya D. Williamson

This morning in the shower, while I watched water circle the drain, I wondered what to write about on Kate’s blog. I must’ve stood there for hours – or maybe a minute or two. Water molecules bounced off my body, shouting TGINS! (Thank God It’s Not Stomach – or something far worse. Slippery ingrates.) I envied their fearlessness, diving into the unknown – and maybe even having a little fun doing it.

If I were a water molecule, I might be one clinging to the side of the tub – afraid of what could be hiding in pipes unexplored and hearing my parent molecule say, “If everyone jumped down the garbage disposal, would you do it, too?” But, eventually I’d let go. The consequences might be unpleasant or joyous. But, if I stayed, I’d know my fate would be evaporation. And while that might sound like some sort of rebirth, I’m not ready to go all gaseous just yet.

What does this have to do with writing?

I moved to Los Angeles to become an actor. But, I grew up writing poetry. I wrote a couple one-act plays in college. And I performed in theater before I made my leap to the screen. I used to be really into astrology – the charts, not the daily stuff. Still, being a Cancer was something I hid. I hated the way we were described – the CRAB – always moving sideways to get to our goals. (Did I mention the hard outer shell and squishy insides? Good, I’m glad I forgot.)

My writing evolved into screenwriting then fiction. I didn’t think I had the attention span to complete anything longer than 120 pages. (That had been hard enough.) But, ignoring the occasional shiny object, I finally reached my goal. My writing style incorporates my love of poetry. My fiction’s basically written in verse, but without stanzas. It’s a painstaking process – finding the right words to fit the pacing and give me the necessary alliteration to satisfy my carping brain. (Ex. - I need a four-syllable word that means X, that’s conversational with emphasis on the 2nd syllable and starts with the letter P. Now, you understand my sickness. Be sure to pick up your complimentary vaccine on the way out.)

After years of querying with spec scripts and going on auditions, I wasn’t looking forward to more rejection. So, I edited, sent out a few letters and decided to self-publish. I didn’t realize the amount of work I was about to take on. But, I let go of the side of the tub. Besides, I liked the idea of my book being printed exactly as I’d envisioned it. To keep the creative spark alive, I jump back and forth between projects – comedy, drama, thriller, script and fiction.

Depth of Focus: A Novel is my first book. It’s an adaptation of a script I started close to ten years ago. I wanted to tell a story about a young woman who was afraid of getting married – or into a serious relationship. I’d seen so many stories of women who couldn’t wait to meet Mr. Right. As so many kids and adults have parents that are divorced, I wanted to explore a journey where the supposed happily ever after wasn’t desired (for various reasons). The other characters support or challenge her convictions.

I’m glad I finished it eventually. Here’s a brief description. I hope you like it.

After years of taking care of others, Danni might not know how to really take care of herself. But, she's trying regardless of the consequences -- even if that means keeping her distance from the ones she loves. If everyone has his way, she'll be pulled in more directions than she can handle. Then again, if she pushes too hard, she might wind up alone. Alone and safe? Or alone and lonely? She can't decide.

Following her fifth birthday party, Danni grew to despise the annual tradition. If the aspiring photographer can't find a way to balance a meddling roommate, nosy neighbor, former lover, current lover, mostly-absent father, jealous sibling, insecure best friend and suicidal mother with the demands of her lousy job, approaching birthday party and shrinking college fund, she won't be going to school. And chances are she'll lose a lot more than her career.


Depth of Focus is 268 pages long. It’s available in paperback and as an ebook almost everywhere books are sold.

Paperback at Createspace: https://www.createspace.com/3479214 (Save $4.00 by using code 5F2RD3SH)
Ebook at Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/49376. (Get it for only $3.99 by using code QD35M through June 20th.)

To find out more about me or to read an excerpt and longer description, visit www.kenyadwilliamson.com. You’ll also find excerpts from my works in progress there. Happy writing and reading!

15 comments:

  1. Hello, nice to meet you here on book blogs. My book blogs are below http://stopabusewithaleja.blogspot.com http://bestbooks2read.blogspot.com I'm Just stopping by introducing myself and if there is something that you need to read or a follower, I do by all means follow back just send me your links. What a blessing after all that I've gone through survived and lived. Please like my fan page Author Aleja Bennett | Facebook http://sl3.us/51 I'm the Author of eight books and six available on kindle and by all means do stay in touch when you like because I know what a busy life is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depth of Focus in on my kindle now. (Yes, you may envy me.) I'm hoping to find the time to read it soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post here; very informative! Rae, Best O' Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kenya,
    Very nice guest post. I have a Hollywood blog and would like to interview you over there. Contact me at rebecca.camarena@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't recommend "Depth of Focus" highly enough. Kenya is a very talented writer...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Everyone = Thank you so much for stopping by. :-) A great weekend for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aleja - Thanks for stopping by. I wish you the best with all your writing -- and life in general. :)

    Sam - Everyone's so glad you're back. I can't wait to read your book. Fifty-two more days till it's released! :D

    Rae - Thank you so much. I'm following your reviews. Maybe I'll pester you in July. :)

    Rebecca - Thank you. I just visited a few of your blogs. I'll send you an email. :)

    Muriel - I don't think I can thank you enough for all your kind words these last few months. I briefly considered walking away from my keyboard. What you wrote brought me back. :)

    Kate - Thank you so much for this wonderful opportunity. I was a little intimidated at first. But, once again, I let go of the tub. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya, Kenya. Your description of your writing style reminds me of intricate beading—all-consuming and exacting, but yielding spectacular results.

    Loved the "letting go of the side of the tub" analogy. Guffawed over "I'm not ready to go all gaseous just yet." Ahem. Twenty more years, arriving at mid-life, will take away the choice, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post! I have clung to the tub a time or two or ten. I maybe clinging as we speak. I think most will relate.

    I think your writing is great Kenya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scrollwork - You always have me laughing -- and thinking! I hope you realize how smart and talented you are. :) I'm going to start practicing my "It wasn't me" now. ;D

    Stacey - Thank you! Right now, my fingertips are nice and smooth. But, I'll be checking again in a day or two to make sure they're not pruning up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I got your comment and thought I would give you an FYI...you can still enter for the eBook portion of the giveaway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a great post! Loved the writing and the story that came with it! Can't wait to read Depth of Focus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on a great guest post. I'm a Cancer too and share your feeling about being represented by a crustation. And moving to our goals sideways...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. BookLuvr Mindy - Thanks for stopping by and the info! :)

    L.J. - I just read your Dear John letter to Writer's Block. Fun post! :D I wish you well with Novel. And I hope you enjoy my book!

    June - Thank you! I wish you an early Happy Birthday. For safety purposes, stay away from the melted butter by the cake! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for visiting, Kenya, and for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.