Pages

Back!

I've been gone a week. No internet. No laptop. Hardly a change of clothes.

Sounds like I've been kidnapped by burly hooligans?

Nothing as adventurous, I might confess, but my sudden hiatus was certainly enlightening. When this happened to me the first time, I walked away a different person, praying it wouldn't happen again. In less than a year, it happened again. I guess I didn't learn my lessons the first time around.

What am I talking about?

Last year, my mother underwent surgery and I was there the whole time, never leaving her side. I had my laptop. I had the internet. I guess I wasn't focusing on the most important thing, which was truly, compassionately, patiently caring for my mother.

The universe decided to kick me in the ass for that again just last week. Saturday night, my mother complained of severe pain. We rushed to the emergency room. I thought she would get a dose of pain relievers and that would be it, home again in a couple of hours. Well, that's not what happened. I was thankful I had spare clothes in the car, but still had to go home the next day for more. This time, I left Fred (my laptop) home and only brought books to keep me occupied while my mother was recuperating from surgery.

This time around, I walked away different. Clearer. More open.

Seeing a loved one in pain, scared, and about to go into surgery again in less than a year is truly life changing. At least, I certainly think so. I'm more thankful. My eyes certainly opened wider, my heart unfurled further.

But most importantly, I'm more thankful. I'm thankful that she's home and healthy again. I'm grateful that she's smiling and actually cleaning the house!

What I learned?

Answer: Love, no matter what, is the most important thing.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm so sorry, Kate! Glad things are looking better, though. Keep your mind on your work first and your family second. The blog can wait. We will miss you terribly, but we will wait.

    -LupLun
    Lupines and Lunatics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, it glad to see she's better. I'm also sorry to hear you've been bit by the writing bug. I've been bitten too!
    I write horror, and I post my short stories on my blog. I've got four up there right now. I'm not sure if you'd like them, but I'd love it if you stopped by.
    -Mac Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lup and Mac = Thank you so much for the love guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is your mother doing? Better, I hope! So sorry to hear about her illness. I'm here if you need me, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.