Pages

Blogger Interview: SmartLit



About the Blog:

I created SmartLit after attending a webinar given by Writer's Digest's Jane Friedman (Her Blog: There Are No Rules). She's smart, funny, and up to the minute about the publishing industry. During the webinar, Jane talked extensively about the ways to connect with readers through blogging. Part of her advice (for authors who want to publish traditionally) was to focus the blog -- not just blog about random subjects, the weather, your shoes, etc. While that can be fun and entertaining, to create an audience and attract readers to your site, it is better to choose an area of interest and dedicate yourself to it. I love books, talking about books, and critiquing books. SmartLit was born!

About the Blogger:

In my former life, I was a news anchor and reporter for six years in two small-market CBS stations (WTVY and WWNY). I've also been a public relations director, an employee trainer, a pharmaceutical sales representative, and a substitute teacher. I'm married and the mom of two fabulous boys (13 & 5). I stay at home now, practice yoga, and read a lot. I live near the Gulf Coast, which is wonderful, since I grew up near Rochester, NY (snow, snow, snow)! Right now, I'm hoping to publish a novel and am at work on another (there are at least 2 or 3 others in my drawer that will never see the light of day!) Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

The Interview:

How long have you been blogging?

4 months (more than now, since it's been a few months since the interview began)

Why did you decide to blog?

I love books and want to share the best ones with other avid readers.

What books do you blog about and why?

Fiction, Non-fiction, Memoir, YA, anything I find interesting

What memes can be found on your blog?

N/A

What is your review style like?

Concise (300-500 words), honest, fair, accurate

If you can describe your blog in one word, what would it be and why?

"Eclectic" ... I love books that make an impression on me, books that make me think, take me to another place, or teach me something I didn't know

What advice can you give other bloggers about blogging?

Don't post every day, use spellcheck, check your blog for errors before you post, use punctuation, go out on a limb and read books outside your comfort zone

What kind of promotion techniques do you use to get followers?

Book Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Email

If there was something you’d want your readers to take away from reading your blog, what would it be?

That it's a reliable source for solid book reviews

What can readers look forward to from your blog in the future?

An eclectic mix of books reviewed, helpful information for readers, a starting point for interesting discussions

Blogger Notes:

I would like to thank Laura for granting this interview. I know it was a long time in coming. If you want to visit Laura's blog, you can click on this link: http://smartlit.wordpress.com/

2 comments:

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.