Pages

October and the Superstition Game


Can you believe it's October already? I'm not going to focus on how time flies because, by now, you must be feeling it too. In a couple of months it's Christmas again. But let's not get a head of ourselves.


October is my favorite month! And one of the reasons why has to do with my favorite holiday: Halloween. So, in celebration, for the whole month of October, I'm bringing back the Superstition Game. It's very easy, just mention a common everyday word or item in the comments section and I'll feature the superstition behind it.


Let me kick things off by telling you a little about the superstitions behind shoelaces. Yup, you got that right, shoelaces.


Just as shoes are a focus of superstitious speculation, so too are shoelaces. Very familiar is the tradition that if a shoelace comes undone someone is talking about the person concerned. If the left lace comes untied, bad things are being said, but if it is the right one, only good things are being said. In the USA, this superstition is expressed in the rhyme:


'Tis a sure sign and true,
At that very moment
Your true love thinks of you.


It is also widely acknowledged that it is a bad omen for a shoelace to break, but that it is good luck to find a knot in one's laces. A more obscure tradition warns that it is unlucky to mix the colors of one's shoelaces. If one shoe is tied with a brown lace and the other with a black lace this is particularly unlucky because brown represents the earth of the grave and black represents death.


See? Who would have thought that having different color laces can be unlucky? And who would have thought that there actually are superstitions about shoelaces? This is why I love the Superstition Game. Really, common everyday things you take for granted actually have great significance to them. So, join the game and see what you can learn.


At the moment, my most popular post on superstitions is about Ravens.


And since I'm in a celebratory mood, I will leave you all with the current theme song of my life:


20 comments:

  1. I love that song! OK ...Im in ...what about. Headband?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @John = Ah, only you would suggest that. Naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks!

    Heidi
    http://pagesofgold.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I can't help myself. Any superstitions about panties? And - this is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heidi = Stay tuned.

    @kimmullican.com = I think you're in luck.

    @Renee = If you mean the moon, then I can definitely hook you up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about the more traditional pumpkin...into a jack o' lantern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is kind of an obvious question - green cars? I've always heard that they're unlucky.

    And Moves Like Jagger is a great song! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never wear odd laces, maybe deep down I knew about that.

    toothbrush. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like fun! How about...Teddy Bears?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @GABixler = Oh, yes! I think there's one for that.

    @Sophie = Maybe we'll look at cars in general, maybe green might be mentioned too. Stay tuned.

    @barmybex = Interesting. I'll have to check.

    @Kristin = Teddy Bears. I think this one might be creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! Let's see...hair? I'm sure there are a million superstitions about hair. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting post (and it surprises some people to hear that I'm a Maroon 5 fan, as well).

    Anyway, I have a story I'm working around this, and there's obviously the tie-in in Amityville Horror, but how about "flies"?

    Paul D. Dail
    www.pauldail.com- A horror writer's not necessarily horrific blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't forget Black Cats. I have one and come to think of it, my luck hasn't been too good. LOL But I do love my kitty!

    ~Sherry

    Hey! Check out my books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about mirrors? That's probably one you'll have to narrow down! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @cherie = Oh, there's lots about hair.

    @Paul = I think the superstitions about flies would be interesting.

    @Sherry = Black cats are certainly a superstition staple.

    @Cindy = Mirrors too, I'm sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.