Pages

Celebration

Writing a novel is by no means an easy task. It’s fun. It’s full of challenges. It sometimes entails sleepless nights thinking of character arcs and plot lines. It’s scary. It’s a crazy salad peppered with doubts, personal or otherwise. To those who find writing a novel easy, I envy you. But writing a novel isn’t what I’m here to discuss in this blog post.

Today, it’s all about celebrations. And I want to share the happiness with you.

I have three things to celebrate about.

First, I’ve finished writing Suicide Whisperers five days before my deadline at the end of the month. I started it January 1, 2012. As promised, I wrote a chapter or two a day until I reached the end yesterday at chapter 27. It’s a liberating feeling because it means I can move on to the editing process, which I have learned to love. It’s in the editing where I can really look at the clay I have kneaded for days and days. I can finally mold it to the kind of story it wants to be. Now, the real work begins. But I’ve decided to put off editing ‘til the beginning of February. A few days away from the material helps to give me fresh eyes when I dive in again. I hope to have an excerpt for all of you come third week of February. After my critique partners have taken a knife to my latest baby. One down, five more to go.

The second cause for celebration involves my side project Guillotine. I already have five chapters up and will be posting chapter six soon. A new friend I’ve met by chance at the beginning of this year asked if I’d ever considered writing for a comic book. I told him I couldn’t draw to save my life, so I never considered putting a comic together. Although, I’ve always wanted to. He told me that all I needed was a comic script. So, I gave him the link to Guillotine. He liked it and said let’s make it into a comic. He sent me sample comic scripts, I did a little research, and set out to convert chapter one into a script. It’s actually so much fun. I finished it last night, and after a few edits this morning, I sent it off to my friend. Let’s hope I did it right. I really want to see what Guillotine as a comic looks like. Lesson: don’t run away from an opportunity.

The third thing I’m celebrating is still a secret, but not for long. I can’t tell you yet. Just bear with me a little bit more. You don’t have to wait long.

I want to leave you with this image. From afar it’s a portrait of Don Quixote, but when you look closer, the painting actually contains the different images and symbols found in Cervantes’s book. The image reminds me that nothing is always as it seems. Look past the surface and you’ll find the treasure hidden beneath.

Source

P.S.

I have taken to Twitter to share what happiness is to me. For example: Happiness is a good book. I hope that you can also share what happiness is to you by using the #Happiness. There are so many things trending on Twitter, not all of them good. Someone even killed Cher on Twitter today. I hope that just by sharing what happiness is for you and me, we can spread the appreciation of the little things and affect some positive change in any way, shape, or form.

Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. #happiness for me is seeing you happy. I'm so thrilled that wonderful things are happening for you. Much luv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs* Your happiness is my happiness too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing up your first book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for the third secret thing we're popping bubbly for! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait either! I'm bursting from it.

      Delete
  4. Happiness to me is my golden retriever gazing into my eyes as I tell her about my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'm actually thinking of getting myself a St. Bernard. :-)

      Delete
  5. I am so impressed that you wrote a book in a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! :-) I do my best. A chapter a day for a whole month and it culminates into a novel. I hope I can keep it up.

      Delete
  6. I have been reading Guillotine. It is awesome. I really enjoy your style especially, the dialog.

    I love that image you posted above, it is representative of the way that I like to look at the world, meaning within meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read Guillotine, Brian. Chapter 6 is actually going up shortly. :-)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your accomplishment of finishing a novel in such a short amount of time!

    And that painting is mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jay! I hope that I can keep it up throughout this year. :-)

      Delete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.