Pages

Writing and Coffee Shops

There’s something about leaving the house and going to a coffee shop to write.

Firstly, writing at home is filled with potential distractions. At least, that’s what I’ve noticed for myself. There’s the TV. There’s the internet. There’s a pile of laundry needing to go into the machine. Now, I know I can multitask and juggle, but I decided to actually leave the house to give my writing my full attention. Oh, and I go to a coffee shop that purposely doesn’t have WiFi. I know, right? A coffee shop without WiFi? How archaic! But, yes, no WiFi means no distractions. My writing gets jealous when I don’t give it my undivided attention.

Secondly, the atmosphere of a coffee shop allows me to concentrate. Granted, I have my earphones on, blasting the soundtrack appropriate for what I’m currently writing, but still. I’m not really a coffee drinker. I just love how relaxing the smell of freshly brewed coffee is. Plus, the more people hanging around, the better I manage tuning them out. Weird, but true.

Thirdly…okay, I’m stopping counting the reasons why. I just wanted to make a point.

I’ve discovered that many of the writers I know prefer writing in coffee shops, too. I can write anywhere—well, except my house unless I’m super focused—but there’s something about being in a coffee shop. The one I go to has great wooden chairs that never get uncomfortable even at the four hour mark of sitting down and typing away. And they have these tables at perfect height, so I’m sitting up straight and not straining anything. Don’t even get me started on the lighting. It’s the kind I love the most: soft yellow. My eyes love it since they’re particularly sensitive to harsh lighting. The yellow overhead acts as a perfect balance for the white of the computer screen. I end up forgetting I’m staring at a white sheet I need to fill up. It’s one of my phobias, you know. A white, empty sheet, taunting me. GaH!

Okay, enough scaring myself.

When I was writing Impulse, I managed to complete the whole manuscript at home, even with my mother vacuuming in the background, but this year seems totally different. I feel like I need to get away. Like to an office, when I still had one. It was a place I went to. Writing is by far not work for me, but I love going to the coffee shop with the idea that I will be spending a few hours there writing and nothing else. It’s like a date with someone you love. You go to a place where most likely no one knows you, so even in a sea of people you have some privacy. That’s me and my writing. We get to spend some quality time in a coffee shop that we can’t seem to have at home.

But maybe, when I get my groove back and I can fully concentrate, I might not need to leave the house. Right now, that’s not looking possible, so out of the house I go.

Day 18 = Chapter 21.

8 comments:

  1. I daresay that writing in a coffee shop possesses its on set of challenges, including distractions from other visitors, the coffee grinder, the scenes occurring outside (as viewed through the windows), etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very, very true. Which is why earphones and great music helps drowns out the rest of the world. But, I do get what you mean. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love writing in coffee shops too. We got a really pretty new one just around the corner which I must try. More productivity along with supporting local businesses, what could be better?

    They do great cakes too, so it might not be good for the waistline. There's always a catch :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why when I get home, it's between me and the elliptical machine. ehehehe :-)

      Delete
  3. I recently blogged about this topic too. You are definitely not alone in feeling the need to escape the confines of home and all the distractions that lie within. I find myself far too frequently thinking about the laundry list of things I "should" be doing versus writing when I am home. When at the coffee shop, I relax because my sole purpose for being there is to write...well, that and consume the elixir of the gods. Lol.

    I like how you pointed out the chairs, tables, and lighting. All very true observations.
    Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Autumn! And you're absolutely right. Being able to get away and just write, it's a pleasure. Add coffee to that and what more can you ask for? The tables, chairs, and lighting are just as important. It's like you create a nook for yourself. :-)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE coffee so I love coffee houses. I'm the same way. I can't focus at home, but sometimes it isn't possible to leave. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ciara! And you're right, sometimes it is hard to get away.

      Delete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.