Pages

Writing Cave

Source
Every writer needs a Writing Cave. A place dedicated to writing alone. A special place where the writer can bring her guard down and let the story flow without over-thinking things. A place comfortable enough that the writer forgets she is seated and typing away on a keyboard.

A Writing Cave doesn’t need to be lavish. And it certainly doesn’t have to be secluded. It doesn’t even have to be an actual cave, but hey, if you can find yourself an actual cave where your writing flows like water from a fountain, then be my guest. Bring lots of food and water, and make sure you tell someone before you leave so that they can have the Pinesol handy when you get back to douse you with. It can get ripe inside the cave after a while.

Some writers really do need seclusion to write. A cabin up in the mountains or woods or woods in the mountains. Sometimes it’s by a lake or it’s surrounded by hillsides. I envy writers who can go out alone and write. I find that when I’m all alone, I tend to worry about being all alone. Sounds seem louder. The silence looms like a reader over my shoulder. Maybe one day I’ll be accustomed to a kind of seclusion somewhere…unless it drives me nuts and I become the crazy lady who hordes. I usually prefer to stay home most of the time—having done my partying in high school (but that’s another story)—provided you air me out at least once a week for a movie, I’m happy.

There are writers who can tune out anything without the aid of earphones and sit down and write anywhere. These are the nomadic writers who don’t have a set cave they need to be in to produce something. I wish to be one these writers. If I’m not comfortable about certain location, I usually can’t write anything. And if I do get to write, I delete it anyway because I know it wasn’t any good.

At the moment, my writing cave is a coffee shop at the local promenade near the mountains where I live. And when I say mountains, don’t imagine Colorado. My mountains aren’t as glamorous. But one day, I dream of writing somewhere near the Rockies. Oh, and Ireland! I dream of renting a house there for a month and just write. Maybe I might even meet a handsome bartender who happens to have the last name of Gallagher. If this sounds like a Nora Roberts plot to you, you’re not far off. I suggest you read this series. One of the best set of romance novels you can get your hands on. What’s the title? I leave it up to you sleuths to find out.

I digress.

As you have already noticed, a Writing Cave can be anywhere. It can even be a place in your own mind, but that might be scary because you might never get out. I suggest finding an “actual” place. As long as you can sit down and write, and this is the place you go back to time and time again, you have found your Writing Cave.

Where do you write?

6 comments:

  1. My writing cave is now the kitchen table or Starbucks or the library since my twenty-two year old moved back home and took over my office. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried writing in the kitchen a couple of times. I kept thinking of ice cream. :-P

      Delete
  2. I dream of the perfect writing cave. Right now it is where ever my laptop sits. :)Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday to you too, Ciara! And you're right. The cave is where the laptop is. *laughs*

      Delete
  3. great post---i write wherever i can, sometimes at lunch in the car, on my laptop before going to sleep. anyplace usually works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. Sometimes, its really about fitting the writing into the schedule, which means writing wherever. :-)

      Delete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.