Pages

Chasing Your Dream

Source
One thing about me is that when it comes to reality TV, I like competition shows. I love watching people chase after their dreams. Whether it is Top Chef, Project Runway, or even America’s Next Top Model, many of the contestants say the same thing: This is my dream. I live those words daily, and to watch people do the same thing brings joy to my heart. But this year, no show brings these words to life more than The Voice.

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of singing competition shows, but I took a chance with The Voice and I’m not disappointed one bit. The show has brought me to tears more times than I can count. I love watching people get a chance at fulfilling their dream. And what makes The Voice so unique is the Blind Auditions. The contestants sing to the backs of four of the biggest names in the music industry. If one or more of them likes the voice, they press a button and turn around.

Another thing I love about The Voice is that instead of judges, they have coaches. It’s about nurturing talent, helping someone hone what they have. I mean, if you’re a singer, wouldn’t you want to have Adam Levin, Christina Aguilera, Cee-Lo, or Blake Shelton coaching you? The opportunity alone is already worth it. The four of them are hilarious when they are trying to win someone they like to their team.

Watching The Voice is so inspiring. It’s not a popularity contest. It’s showing what you’ve got with the help of someone who’s already made it in the industry you’re trying to break into. It’s like if Suzanne Collins or Lisa Kleypas said they’d mentor me and my writing. Not that in a million years would they ever consider doing that for little ol’ me, but that’s the kind of thing The Voice does for aspiring singers. It’s like when I look up to awesome writers and say to myself: If I can be an eighth as good as they are I’d be over-the-moon happy. I have a feeling the singers under the care of the four coaches on The Voice are thinking the same thing.

The show doesn’t have arrogance. That most of all is what gets me coming back week after week. I like seeing the singers grow into their talent, learning everything they can from the great artists brought in to mentor them. Advice like that is priceless.

I love it when a show makes you feel like you can do anything. Age isn’t even a factor when it comes to pursuing your dream. Can you imagine someone at 64 auditioning on The Voice? That’s how magical the show is. It’s not a question of how old you are, it’s are you chasing your dream?

4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I know what you mean about the great format of this show. =) (The banter among the judges also cracks me up.) But my schedule means I can't be a regular viewer.

    And that's how I ended up being a Voice of Ireland fan. =P After I stumbled across a few clips on YouTube (and learned that virtually everything was available on the official YouTube channel), I've been hooked. The Irish version may be less slickly produced and entertaining than the US version, but there's an awkward naturalness to it that I find very endearing. (I also skip all the background stories. I find I don't want to know anything about the singers' backgrounds until after I've heard them audition and battle it out.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an Irish version? That sounds so cool.

      Delete
  2. My wife really likes this show (so by extension, I do as well, LOL). I agree with you that the concept is great, that the show goes back to the roots of music.

    The musicians have to have a good voice, period - unlike the packaged products we get today.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wife has great taste in shows. *laughs*

      And you're right, a good voice is the most important. *thinks of Whitney*

      Delete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.