Pages

Sinigang na Hipon

Despite the pictures saying the contrary, I'm Filipino--born and raised. And one of the things I love about being Filipino is the food. My favorite? Sinigang, which is a clear sour soup perfect to eat on rainy days.

With many Filipino dishes, every family has a different recipe or way of cooking it. Sinigang is a very versatile soup. You can cook it with pork, beef, shrimp. Every recipe is different. Some like it really sour while others like it close to not being sour at all. Some use real tamarind to flavor the soup while most use sinigang mix, which is so much easier.

You can put anything into the soup.

The recipe below is the basic sinigang. The best thing is to make it your own the way Filipino families do.
 
Ingredients:

1/4 cup onion, sliced
1/4 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup calamansi juice*
6 cups water
1/2 kilo shrimp
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Aji-no-moto
2 cups kangkong (swamp cabbage)

Procedure:

1. Saute onions and tomatoes.
2. Add the calamansi juice and cook until tender and mushy.
3. Add the water.
4. Let boil.
5. When boiling, drop the shrimps.
6. Season with salt and Aji-no-moto.
7. Add kangkong and cook for 2 minutes.

**Lemon juice may be substituted for calamansi juice, but I believe it's always better if you have sinigang mix. So much easier.

Happy eating!

8 comments:

  1. i LOVE sinigang :) i've been following your blog and had no idea you're filipino!
    - your fellow pinay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sinigang! And so does my kids (just the broth with steamed rice)..and they don't like any other filipino food ..okay, they do like pansit too but that's practically it ..maybe when they're older. --Now I'm hungry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I used to eat it as well when I was younger--just the soup and rice. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Kate! I had a recipe that I've been taking notes on for years. I can't find it now. I know that tamarind juice is on it. We've also tried dried, preserved orange, I think. I've never used calamansi juice- so that might be the mystery ingredient my father can't figure out. Also, we substitute baby bok choy for kangkong- I'll have to see if I can hunt that down in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. My dad says try finding a Filipino store over there. Might really help with the ingredients.

      Delete
  4. *drooling*

    You are too cruel to me. :( I miss Filipino food!

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.