Pages

Vegas Tales: The Departure

Waking up at 2AM didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Maybe it had to do with having my mind on my impending trip. For the first time in my twenty-nine years of life, I would be travelling alone. In my younger days, I always had my parental units with me. When I reached my college years, I would travel with friends.

You have to realize, travelling alone felt like such a huge deal for me at the time. I had to put on my big girl panties and face life as an adult. I would have to make my own decisions the moment I stepped into that airport. So, with the rain falling, I finished packing and drove to the airport with said parental units for support.

One thing you should know about me: I'm bad with directions. One thing you thing know about the Philippines: the airport terminals aren't located in the same place. At 3:30AM, I found myself at Terminal 3 when I had to be at Terminal 1, which was about a mile or two away. *shakes head*

After asking for directions and finally making it up the on ramp to the departures area, I got out of the car, kissed my father good-bye, strong-armed my luggage out of the trunk, and had a bittersweet moment with my mother. We hugged, she pushed me towards the departure entrance along with my fellow travelers, and I managed not to cry like a baby.

Sucking it up, I checked myself in without incident...well, barring some weird questions from the Delta grounds crew about electronics and deadly weapons. I waited for my flight to board and looked my new adventure in the face.

Little did I know that hopping from one airplane to another would be a trip all on its own.

On the first leg of the trip, I silently thanked the universe that I wasn't afraid of flying. The turbulence on that plane was enough to give the most confident of fliers some pause. But the baby boy I sat with laughed all the way through, which was a great comfort to me. I figured, if the baby wasn't scared then we weren't crashing that day. My extra challenge was trying to eat breakfast while the plane was pitching about. Ever tried drinking on a roller coaster? My experience was close enough.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post and how you faced the reality of stepping out into the world on your own. Your mother seems like a very wise person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. What a story. I'm not a fan of traveling. I, too, am directionally challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to hear about your adventure. I can't wait to read the rest. I'm also pleased you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.