Pages

Conversion Complete

As you might have read on my twitter feed or have seen mentioned in several posts here, I've been given the task of converting the point of view of my manuscript with Entangled Teen. It's the reason why I set my NaNo project aside. And I'm happy that I did. The reason to follow. Today, I finally finished the conversion. I was so happy doing it that this is what I've learned during the process:

1. Leave the Story Alone

I wrote Til Death a couple of years ago. Since then, it has evolved into many different things. The characters have stayed the same, but the story has shifted somewhat. After signing it with Entangled Teen, I had the chance to leave the story alone for a while. When we finish writing a story, it's so easy to want to get into the editing process right away because of the euphoria left over from the writing process. This isn't always what the story needs. Because I hadn't read Til Death for a while, I was able to go into the world with fresh eyes and a keener sense of what needs to be added or subtracted in the story. I've grown as a writer since the inception of Til Death, and when I was converting the POVs, I could really see what needed to be done.

2. Adding a New POV

This isn't the first time that a story of mine has multiple POVs. Reaping Me Softly is the perfect example since the story revolves around three POVs. In earlier incarnations of Til Death, the whole story was told through Selena's eyes. I get into her head quite a bit. But as the story evolved, I found Dillan's voice too. Now, with the conversion, I saw the need for a few new chapters to round out the story. And I realized right away that I love being inside Dillan's head. It's one snarky place. I can't wait to see more of him on the page.

3. Enjoying What I Do

Writing is the love of my life. I think I've mentioned this enough times in my blog. I wake up in the morning with a smile on my face because I know I get to write something new every day. When I got a chance to immerse myself back into the world of Til Death, I found myself smiling more the usual. I had so much fun that I forgot what day it was or even that I had to go back into the real world some time. Luckily I don't have plants to water because they would have died on me during this process. Enjoying myself converting Til Death as reinvigorated my love for writing. It's reminded me why I do this for a living and why I love it so much.

4. Go with Your Gut

We don't listen to our gut often enough. Our instincts is the universe's way of guiding us down the right path. Without getting too new age-y, I went with my gut while converting Til Death. I wasn't afraid to change things up, to shake up the story. I tweaked, added, subtracted, and reinvented the concepts I'd first brought into the story years ago. Every time I felt I needed to go somewhere with an idea, I went with it. That's the great thing about writing. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't, cut it and try again. Nothing is ever permanent. The delete button is easy to use.

5. Looking Forward to More

Like being reminded how much I love writing, converting Til Death makes me look forward to what comes next. At some point, I enjoyed myself so much that I was scared of how much I loved the story. I can get that way sometimes. Stare love in the face and it scares the crap out of you. But this experience has given me new hopes and dreams. Has brought back my sense of whimsy and the many ways I could put a story together. In short, I'm ready to take what I'm feeling now and apply it to my other projects. I have a to do list, and now I can check off the conversion and move on to the next item.

If you haven't yet, you can now add Til Death to your Goodreads TBR list. Click here to bring you to the Til Death page.

If you're looking for some help on the writing front or you find yourself stuck, I just read this great Top Ten Writing Tips you might want to check out. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.