Pages

Giving Thanks


It's that time of the year again where people give thanks. Even with the American blood in my veins, I've never celebrated a day of Thanksgiving. A part of me yearns for what this day brings. I've seen and heard some horror stories about this day, where being with family can be very stressful. But how stressful can a day that brings family together be? I'm sure many of you will argue with me, because what do I know about celebrating this day?

But even with my lack of experience, what I love about this day that most is giving thanks for everything that has happened to me this year. I reread a similar post of mine from last year. Man, I was so much more eloquent then. Maybe that's because I wasn't as busy inside my writing cave and my words aren't taken hostage by my ravenous characters. *laughs* So, in the spirit of giving thanks, I would like to revive that post again this year and share with all of you what I am thankful for.

First, and always foremost, I am thankful for family. Everyday that passes, I am reminded of how much time I have left with my father. Granted, our relationship isn't always a bed of roses because we are so much a like and that means we butt heads a lot. But I am my father's daughter and I am proud of that. I am also thankful for the constant love and support of my mother. She is the beacon that guides me down the right path. Often she is my voice of conscience. It can get annoying sometimes because I am still that rebellious girl in many ways, but she is a treasure I would be lost without. And, no matter how annoying he can get, I am thankful for my younger brother. He has his faults as I have mine. He is a special guy and I'm learning that more and more each day.

I am thankful for the people I get to meet during my journey as a writer. Fellow writers are fascinating. Their continued support and sense of community uplifts me. There's no force stronger than a group of writers coming together. Whether it be a show of strength during a coming storm or sending support to someone who has shared something deeply personal, being a part of this wonderful group reminds me of the best in people.

I am also thankful for the tireless work of editors. They are the backbone of a writer's process. Without them the words on the page may not reach their full potential. Editors are the brave who aren't afraid to say how it is and give pointers on how to make a manuscript better. The lessons I have learned from the editors I have worked with will stay with me for the rest of my life. My writing wouldn't be the same without you. Thank you!

Another aspect of my life that I am thankful for are the friends I call Sis! You know who you are. Whether it's to raise pom poms of encouragement or send virtual cookie treats when you've done good, they are there every step of the way. The email exchanges might not be on a daily basis, but when you ask a question there is always an answer. When you need to cry on their shoulder, they are there. When you need to share your frustrations, they totally understand. I count myself blessed to know these wonderful people.

And lastly, I am ever thankful to readers. Basically, everyone and anyone willing to spend some time here or in the pages of my books. This time last year, I'd just signed my first contract. Since then, I'd released two books, signed several contracts, about to sign two more, working on three sequels, and editing the first book of another series. Without readers, I wouldn't be where I am today. I am forever grateful for your love and support.

So, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Have some turkey for me.

4 comments:

  1. :D I actually teared up a little reading this. :D I'm thankful that I've met you and get to interact with you on a regular basis despite the immense timezone difference. I love your writing and you're pretty awesome as a person too.

    P.S. I don't get the whole family freak out, but I don't spend it with a large group. I think a large group has some pretty fascinating dynamics that can lead to a lot of conflict (much like the characters in our stories).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you, Andrew! You are pretty awesome too. My day isn't complete without a tweet from you. Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way as Andrew while reading this post. I'm Thankful to have you in my life too. Oh, my hard copy of Taste came in the mail. I cracked it just enough to show my family the dedication, then put it on the shelf so it won't get damaged. Kiwi can read the Kindle copy, but that one's my precious *pets cover*. Reaping Me Softly should arrive on Monday.

    Thought I'd share why I'm so thankful today, lol. Luv ya, sis,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sis! *tackle hugs* You are an integral part of my life. I am there for you a 200%.

      Delete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.