Pages

A break in our regularly scheduled programming!


I want to take a second to welcome Terri Rochenski to my blog as a break for our regularly scheduled programming. Today she shares with us why she writes short stories. Let's join her in her journey!

Okay, Terri, take it away!

~*~

Between the years of ’05 and ’08 my life went through a major upheaval, and everything but surviving and regrouping fled my brain. Creativity fled my mind and dropped to the end of my to-do list. Once things settled and I began life anew, I dove into building a world I could tell a smidge of my own story through. A fantasy novel took shape, but at a sluggish pace.

Frustration mounted. After 3 years of toiling away I took a break. Why not try my hand at something quicker for fast gratification, something short and sweet? Four fantasy flash fiction pieces oozed from my muse, and I was lucky enough to have all four published with ezines. They can be found HERE.

I went back to my novel WiP for a year and finally finished the first rough draft. Editing isn’t exactly my favorite part of manuscript writing, so I decided another break was necessary. *hiding head in shame*

J. Taylor Publishing announced an anthology call based on a picture prompt. I saw the picture, fell in love with it, and listened to my muse. My short story submission, Sacrificial Oath, was accepted for their Make Believe Anthology which released December 3rd.

Roll on muse!

I found out Still Moments Publishing had a Christmas Magic Anthology call and thought why not?

My historical romance, Beginning of Forever, was inspired by my sister-in-laws life – loss, acceptance, and choosing to go on and live. She is one of the strongest, most inspiring women I know, and was sweet enough to answer some in depth emotional questions to give the story an organic, believable feel.

The email containing the offer of a contract arrived in my inbox and I actually shed a tear. Me. Farm girl Terri who never cries.

I’ve had unbelievable luck with my flash and short pieces these past two years. They helped clear my head and bring more creativity to a muse bogged by down by my large fantasy project.

But the time for distractions is at an end. It’s time for me to just finish already! I will do it. I may from time to time write another short story or two since they’re so therapeutic. (And make me feel like a literary goddess.)

ha!

What do you do when you lose the drive to finish a WiP? How do you jump start a lazy, yawning muse?

~*~

Like a phoenix that rises from the ashes, short stories come to life. I can connect with your walk through fire, Terri. The best thing about a life upheaval is it seems to recharge the muse. I don't recommend it, and I certainly don't like walking through fire often, but I feel reborn afterwards. Like the phoenix. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us into short stories, Terri!

Let's get to know Terri a little bit more, shall we?

Terri started writing stories in the 8th grade, when a little gnome whispered in her brain. Gundi’s Great Adventure never hit the best seller list, but it started a long love affair with storytelling. Today she enjoys an escape to Middle Earth during the rare ‘me’ moments her two young daughters allow.

Please make sure to stalk her in the following places:

Facebook
Goodreads
My Blog
My Website
Twitter
Google +

And once you're done stalking her, please make sure to check out Christmas Magic. It's perfect for the season. Terri's story is called Beginning of Forever.

Here's the blurb:

When Wayne Edwards moves to town, Lillian Davis experiences stirrings she thought were long dead. Guilt ridden over betraying her deceased husband and the feelings Wayne inspires, Lillian reluctantly lets him in. Secrets of the past – an old promise emerges, but will it threaten their forever?

And check out this excerpt:

I rubbed my fussing son’s back and stumbled down the hall to grab the phone. “Hello?”
“Mrs. Douglas?”
A glance at the clock and my stomach clenched. Ronnie was an hour late for our Christmas Eve dinner. “Y-yes?”
“There’s been an accident.”
Through Steven’s heightened cries and the ringing in my ears I heard my husband’s name and Anna Jacques hospital.
This isn’t real. I need to wake up.
“Mrs. Douglas?”
I swayed and slumped to my knees on the linoleum floor, struggling to keep Steven in my grasp.
The floor is cold. I’m not dreaming.

Doesn't it make you want to read the whole story? I sure want to!

Thank you so much for joining us today, Terri! 

We wish you a happy holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for having me, Kate! I noticed my HERE link to my stories isn't working - I updated my website.

    http://www.terrirochenski.com/my-stories--wips.html

    There's the new one.
    Thanks again for helping get the word out about CM. Purchase links & more info can be found on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great story! I have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.