Pages

9:16pm

~Source~

Time. Something that keeps moving forward. A concept everyone knows but so few truly understand. We live our lives by it, counting down the seconds to...something: a new year, Christmas eve, a birthday. But nothing reminds us of time more than death. It is the ultimate full stop to things.

Some believe death is only the beginning. That eternal life awaits those who forever close their eyes. Others think there is nothing after death.

No matter what you believe, one thing remains true: Even in death we mark the time.

It's easy to forget the passage of time until someone no longer has time to pass. We take so much of this life for granted, time being chief among them.

Would it help if we knew when time finally stops for us?

I don't know.

I'm attending my second funeral this year tomorrow. Everyday I'm reminded of how fast time is flying. With each week that ends, with each chapter I write or book I complete, I'm reminded of the constant forward motion of time. Then I get a call that seems to stop time all together. I know that it only seems like time stops because reality is far different.

I stop to think of the finite things and the infinite things. Can they be all that different? Love can be finite and infinite. Death is the same. Time too.

I wonder, is it only through death where we can truly stop time? But the person who is no longer here may not have a concept of it anymore. Only those left behind still feel the passage of it. I'm not sure.

What I know is Mick and Keith wrote it best:

Yes, star crossed in pleasure the stream flows on by
Yes, as we're sated in leisure, we watch it fly yeh

And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me 
And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me 

Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face
Hours are like diamonds, don't let them waste

Time waits for one, no favours has he
Time waits for one, and he wont wait for me, yeh

Men, they build towers to the passing yes, to their fame everlasting
Here he comes chopping and reaping, hear him laugh at their cheating

And time waits for no man, and it won't wait for me
Yes, time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

Drink in your summer, gather your corn
The dreams of the night time will vanish by dawn

And time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me
Time waits for no one, and it won't wait for me

No no no, not for me
nooo not for me...

2 comments:

  1. i know what you mean about the passage of time flying by! i'm reaching the age where very soon life stops giving and starts taking away. definitely makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Kate,

    I hate funerals. There was a time too, that I attended two funerals within two months and it was so heartbreaking cos it was my Aunt's and Uncle's. Ever since, I dread hearing phone calls at night... it seems that there is always a bad news that comes with them.

    Anyway, it's been a while. AND I missed your two recent books (I feel bad *sad face. I promise I'll read them when I get the chance. Things have been too busy since I got pregnant and gave birth to my second son. Hardly have time for blogging and reviewing. More power to you and know that I'm still here, even if it doesn't seem like it.

    Best regards,
    April @Books4Juliet

    ReplyDelete

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.