Pages

Audible Addiction

Oh, God! You know you're addicted to something when you can't stop. I've been spending hours on Audible finding books I'd like to listen to.

But, wait, let me backtrack this story and give you the bigger picture.

My Audible Addiction began because there are certain books on Amazon that don't have freakin' Kindle editions. I don't know where this practice came from. I always thought that the big publishers would release Kindle copies of books they publish. There seems to be a growing trend, or maybe I just noticed it now, that there are books to be released or have been released that don't have Kindle copies. Maybe they're delaying the Kindle release? I just don't want to try and figure this out.

Well, anyway, there's this book I really wanted and I noticed that it comes free when you try the 30-Day membership trial at Audible. Since I already had the Audible app on my phone, I decided to take the plunge.

With my 30-Day trial set up, I redeemed the book I wanted pulse one more that I kept seeing around and thought interesting. Once I've downloaded the books, I thought to myself: I don't want to continue the free trial because after that they will begin charging me $14 a month to continue the membership. This is why the next day I canceled the free trial.

Then, something weird happened. As I listened to one of my free audio books and liked the experience, I began scanning the library at Audible and realized there are lots of books I've been wanting to read that might actually sound enjoyable to listen to. So I began adding them to my wishlist. As I did this, I noticed that the prices of the audio books were far higher without the membership than with. Plus, if you have credits, they are free.

I weighed my options and in one impulsive click, I suddenly purchased a one-year membership. After my debit card lost a fair chunk of change, I rubbed my face and stared at my twelve credits thinking: now I've done it. And. Oh, God. Oh, God. Oh, God!

Now, when I see books on Amazon that I want to buy, I check first if they have an Audible edition. There are times during my day when I have to wait for something and that's when I pull out my phone and start listening to my current Audible selection.

Let this post be a lesson to y'all, kiddies. Be careful what you get into. And. Any Audible books you'd like to recommend?


P.S.

I got an email from Audible letting me know if I spend 4 of my credits today they'd give me back $10. Of course you know what happened after that. Now I have a coupon I can spend at Audible for another book! Oi with the poodles already.

3 comments:

  1. Try Angelfall by Susan Ee. Excellent book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just discovered audible as well. I'm not a regular reader of your blog, I actually just found this page by searching for "Audible addiction". My question: How long did your addiction last? Do you still cover a lot of books you want to read this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never looked back. I'm an author, so I read for a living. Audible actually helped me enjoy books again. Love it!

      Delete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.