Pages

Carrie: A Cautionary Tale

~source~
            It’s double feature day at the Evangelista household. The BroMonster insisted on watching Getaway, the Ethan Hawke drive around the city flick, and the Carrie remake. More on the high octane, let’s see how long a Shelby Super Snake lasts in a high speed chase in another post where I wince the whole time.

            By now many of you are familiar with the Stephen King classic Carrie, released on April 5, 1974 and adapted into a movie by the same title. The original made it to the silver screen on 1976 where Carrie was portrayed by Sissy Spacek. The pig’s blood scene is iconic within the horror genre.

            I must confess that I haven’t read the book for one reason: I freak out more when I read horror than when I watch it. But considering my recent Audible addiction, I may listen to Carrie if there’s an audiobook version.

            Another confession. I haven’t watched the original. They say the ending was changed in the remake. The BroMonster has seen the original and tells me the ending is indeed different.

            Anyway, this post isn’t about reviewing the movie, even if I feel that Chloë Grace Moretz, the one who portrays Carrie in the 2013 version, overacted some aspects of the character.

            What I want to focus on here is the strong anti-bullying message of the movie. As someone who’s suffered under the hands of bullies, watching Carrie didn’t scare me. In fact, raise your hand if you feel the same way, watching the bullies get what’s coming to them satisfied the hell out of me. Okay, okay, there were innocents that died too, but I can’t say I feel all that sympathetic. When Chris Hargensen’s face slammed into the windshield, a smile stretched across my face. The word “YES” may have escaped my lips too.

            I am not advocating violence as a solution to bullying (although sometimes you just want to cut a bitch), but I’m a big believer in karma. When someone mean gets what’s coming to him or her I can’t help but feel a measure of satisfaction.

            Being mean is easy. In fact, it’s so easy that we can slip into it without thinking about what we’re doing until it’s too late. Kindness takes thought and deliberation. What watching Carrie has reinforced in me is the value of being kind. You never know the consequences of bullying. If Chris had just helped Carrie instead of being mean for the sake of maintaining her queen B status maybe no one would have died on prom night.

            I’ve heard so many stories of kids killing themselves because of bullying. I’ve also watched countless news reports on school shootings that root back to a case of bullying. What Sue said at the end of the movie resonated with me. “We pushed her too hard.”

            Anyone can snap. What they do when they snap is the wildcard. That’s why it’s infinitely better to be kind. Carrie could have easily had a gun or a bomb instead of telekinesis. No one deserves to be treated as less of a person. No one deserves to be made to feel inferior. Bullies have their reasons, but it doesn’t mean that any of them are right.

            I sat in the theater today expecting to be scared out of my mind. Instead I was reminded to be kind. To treat others with respect. To remember that everyone has feelings. Yes, even the bullies.

            There’s not enough time in the world to waste it on being mean.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I've been bullied before but nothing major. Just mild teasing, that sort of thing (though I was still hurt w/ their teasing). In my own opinion, if ever I would be bullied (like the major kind of bullying), I won't resort into violence. I'll just let the karma do its own job and I would just sit here and wait for the day that karma would bitch slap those bullies on their faces.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.