Pages

End of the Year Funk

~Just some eye candy for you~
            Feel it!

            We’re literally counting down the days to the end of 2013. The holidays are here. Malls are singing Christmas songs. For those of you in the States, Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It’s finally that time of year where calories cease to exist.

            For those participating in NaNovember, it’s a time for word counts and daily writing rituals. The finish line is getting to 50k in thirty days or less.

            But there is this funk that comes over people just as the year is winding down. You feel it seep into your bones the second Halloween ends. You just want to drop everything and coast through the last two months. With each day that passes you get lazier and lazier. You just want to sit around and binge-watch your favorite TV shows. Or hang out at the movie theater all day eating French fries and sitting in the cold theater until you’ve viewed every offering for that week.

            Safe it to say I’m in that funk. I’m feeling all lazy and slow. It’s hibernating season, yet there are so many more things that need to get done. So many things in line that you realize you’re just as busy today as you were when 2013 started.

            I love writing so much that I can’t see myself doing anything else. Before I gave myself to writing, I merely survived life. Now I’m living it. But like every love affair, you have days when you just want room to breathe.

            I promised myself that I’d finish writing Relish for NaNo. And I intend on keeping that promise no matter what. Today I sat down to write chapter fourteen and it felt like pulling teeth. Each word had to be forced out of me. Nothing was flowing right. I kept getting stuck at every turn. It bordered on psychotic how difficult it became.

            But this didn’t stop me. I kept pushing until the chapter was done, or at least I reached the personal word count I’ve set for myself with each chapter that I write. Afterwards, I sat there thinking about why the story wasn’t coming out the way I’d envisioned it. Then I realized I needed to take a drastic turn. Let go of what I thought was right for the story and infuse it with something totally different. Break the rules I’ve set inside my head.

            Pain is what happens when the funk sets in. Do I give in? A year ago, maybe. There are days when I toy with the idea, for sure. Doesn’t mean I’ll stop and bum around for the last forty or so days of the year. I can’t afford to do that. My writing would forgive me, but I wouldn’t. When you love something, you keep at it. Pain is part of the process. It’s part of the growth that needs to happen for you to become better at what you’re doing.

            I got this really great advice from one of The Nerdist podcasts. Aziz Ansari said, “Get good at what you’re doing and everything will fall into place.” I may be paraphrasing, and this advice may have come from someone who’d given it to him so it’s pre-owned, but the truth of it blew my mind.

            Just because I’m in the End of the Year Funk doesn’t mean I’ll stop. It actually drives me to keep going. To play through the pain.

            Keeping distractions at bay, on the other hand, is a whole different problem. *winks*


No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.