Pages

My Wicked Experience

I first discovered Wicked after hearing Defying Gravity. The song still gives me goose bumps, and having watched it performed live today is quite possibly the highlight of the first quarter of my year. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

After researching where the song came from, I quickly added watching Wicked on Broadway to my bucket list. Of course, life gets in the way, as it often does. So, when I found out the play is being performed here in the Philippines, I made it my mission to buy tickets. And since I do many things with the Momager, I bought her a ticket too, making it a shared experience for us.

The tickets first went on sale the last quarter of 2013. Even if I could only afford nosebleed seats, the sense of accomplishment that came with paying for my chance to watch Wicked was priceless.

Skip ahead five months and the day has come. Believe it or not, with all the crazy good things going on right now, I actually forgot about my Feb 1 date with the cast. If it weren’t for the constant reminders of TicketWorld… *shudders* I don’t even want to think what would have happened.

Working into the wee hours of this morning, I ended up waking up late. Not a very good start to the day, I must say. But the Momager and I still managed to make good time getting to CCP. We even had time for lunch. Unfortunately for my OCD when it comes to being punctual, I didn’t account for the parking nightmare that would befall us.

A near meltdown later, I still missed the first ten minutes of the show! I was only allowed in because there was this mother who had two crying children. They were late for the show too and the usher took pity on all of us. I honestly felt like a wet kitten right then.

I finally got in when Elphaba and Glinda were already singing about being roommates at Shiz University. Boy was I heartbroken. I couldn’t even make it to my seat, forced to sit on the stairs for the entire first half of the play, because it was so dark.

One thing you need to know about me? I don’t like squeezing in front of seated people just to get to my seat.

On the verge of tears, I hugged my bag to my chest and watched.

The show was so engrossing that I soon forgot all my heartache. The power of a beautiful story is truly magical. I think I didn’t blink for the entire play.

Watching Wicked didn’t just make me happy despite the speed bumps, it affirmed my commitment to becoming a better writer. No wonder the play is a hit. The storyline is engrossing and so well executed. I want to be able to write novels like that. I broke out in goose bumps several times and even teared up when Elphaba “died” and was reunited with Fiyero.

The story has so many wonderful layers to it that if the show isn’t sold out, I’d want to watch it again. Maybe next time I’ll actually camp out at the theater so I wouldn’t be late. Ah, the lessons I learned today.

After watching this version of Wicked, I wonder what the original with Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth would have been like. Two powerhouses singing those songs? I get chill bumps just thinking about it.


Put watching Wicked on your bucket list, lovelies. So. Worth. It.

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen the show but the book is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purchased the book a while back but I haven't had the chance to read it. I have heard great things about the show. I am def putting this on my bucket list. After reading your post I think I will read the book soon! Thanks for sharing!

    Heather @ YA Fantasy Book Junkie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw it in London last year and was blown away. I knew I would want to see it again.
    It's just opened in my local theater and I have tickets for it for March. (We ordered them last April so I have to keep reminding myself of the date so I don't miss it)
    Glad you enjoyed it, shame you missed the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.