Pages

Horror Books


Disclaimer: Two of the horror novels in this post I could not finish, which is why I'm recommending them.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I'm a HUGE scared-y cat. This especially applies to books. There's something about reading freaky or horrific things that really bothers me. I can't sleep. I'm uneasy. Even during the day. This is why I stay away from reading horror. The ones I did try I couldn't finish not because they were badly written but because they were so good I chickened out.

The first book I'm recommending is actually The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book 2). Those familiar with the Maze Runner series would know that the book is dystopian sci-fi. The reason why I couldn't finish it was because of those scary infected people the main characters had to escape from. The descriptions were so vivid that I just couldn't continue and still enjoy the story. I highly recommend the series.


The synopsis is below and mozie on over to Amazon or your favorite bookstore to grab a copy:

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.

The second book I read and couldn't finish is called The Light (Morpheus Road). Just thinking about the story gives me goose bumps. The being haunting Marshall was so scary I thought it was haunting me too. That's how disturbed I was. It's good to reiterate that I'm easily scared so you might survive reading this book better than I did. 


If you haven't read this yet, check it out on Amazon or borrow it from your local library. Here's the synopsis:

Marshall Seaver is being haunted.

It begins with mysterious sounds, a fleeting face outside a window, a rogue breeze—all things that can be explained away. That is, until he comes face-to-face with a character who only exists on 
the pages of a sketchbook—a character Marshall himself created.

Marshall has no idea why he is being tormented by this forbidding creature, but he is quickly convinced it has something to do with his best friend, Cooper, who has gone missing. Together with Cooper’s beautiful but aloof sister, Sydney, Marshall searches for the truth about his friend while ultimately uncovering a nightmare that is bigger and more frightening than he could ever have imagined.

The last book I actually finished only because it was in audio book form. I realized I'm less scared while listening instead of actually reading. Joyland is my first Stephen King book. Not as horrific as most of his other books, I'm sure, but it still sent a chill down my spine. I'm so thankful a friend sent me the copy. I'm actually thinking about reading a few more of his books after this one.


Here's the synopsis in case you're not familiar with it:

Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.

Grab a copy from Amazon. It's a mystery you will enjoy solving with the protagonist.

For this post, I won't be asking for recommendations because I might not be brave enough to read them anyway. But I do welcome your thoughts on the three books I suggested in this post. Have you read them? What did you think? And if you're just about to read them, check back here. I'd love to read your thoughts!

I hope after reading this post you have three more books to add to your ever growing TBR. I know mine never gets any shorter. The moment I finish a book I add three more to the list. It's a great problem to have. 

Tomorrow, I have a post for you about Tarot Reading. Please check back in and read what I have in store for you. Again, if you haven't followed my blog yet, just add your email to the "Follow by Email" section to the left of your screen. Also, since you're already checking out the left of your screen, follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. 

See you back here tomorrow!

This is Kate, signing out!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.