Pages

Holiday Songs with Claire Kann

Everyone in my family is a creative of some kind. My mom was a dancer, and my dad was a musician--music and performing have always been a large part of my family’s traditions. There is actual video footage of me dancing to “Santa Packs are Coming.” Yep. The jingle from the Coca-Cola commercial… what can I say? I love Christmas music!

It’s generally frowned upon to have a Christmas tree up before Thanksgiving (#theworldisjudgingyou), but there isn’t an actual rule of thumb of when it’s appropriate to start playing Christmas music (and if there is, don’t tell me). In high school, many, many a year ago, a friend told me that in her country, they started playing Christmas music in August. A former co-worker of mine refused to play Christmas music in her office before December 1st. Personally, I will play it whenever the mood strikes me.

I am 100% here for Christmas music all year long. Here are my top Christmas songs (excluding holiday canon classics):

“This Christmas” by Donny Hathaway
This song has been covered many times, many ways, but this one is my favorite. If you are ready for a Christmas get down, nothing will get your family and loved ones more hyped than this song.


“Carol of The Bells” and “Wizards in Winter” by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
How could I not mention these?




“Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays)” by ‘Nsync
I grew up during the era of Nsync vs. Backstreet Boys. While I was (and am) firmly team BSB, there is no denying this song is everything. Ah, the nostalgia is strong with this one...


“Sleigh Ride” by TLC
I have strong memories of seeing this music video on a local public access channel that played music videos. Hearing this one always make me smile.


“Greensleeves” by Vince Guaraldi Trio
This is the first song I learned to play on piano by myself. I love that it’s a Christmas song, too!


“Santa Claus is Coming to Town” and “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” by Jackson 5
Jackson 5 (and Michael Jackson’s) music ruled my house. That is all.




“Jingle Bell Rock” by Park Bogum and & Irene
It’s no secret I have a massive crush on Park Bogum. Needless to say, this is my new favorite version of this song. Click here to view it on YouTube.

“Christmas Time” by Christina Aguilera
I have no shame. I am trash for this song.


“All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey
What other song could have possibly been Number One? This has to be the single greatest Christmas song from the modern age. The single was released in 1994, it’s sold over 14 million copies worldwide, the music video has over 183 million views on YouTube, and it’s been covered by other musicians countless times. The whole world cherishes this song.


~*~

Kate's Note:

What a great list, Claire! Thank you so much for sharing your favorite Christmas songs with us. My personal favorite is The Christmas Song or if you know the Nat King Cole version called Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire. The moment I hear that song I know it's Christmas. What about you? What's your favorite Christmas song?






No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2016 All Rights Reserved.