Pages

Katy Upperman Shares Nordy Bars

I’ve been thinking a lot about holiday traditions lately, as we’ve just decorated our Christmas tree and strung twinkling lights from the eaves of our house – it’s the most wonderful time of the year, after all!

My little family is all about holiday cheer. We’ve adopted tons of traditions as our own, though we’ve had to modify Christmas a time or two, thanks to my husband’s job with the military. We always do our best to make Christmas a special and memorable time for our daughter, but sometimes it looks a little less than traditional. Opening presents with Daddy via Skype while he sits in a desert half a world away? Done it. Presents mailed to faraway family weeks in advance? Yep. Santa’s Christmas Eve cookies hurriedly purchased at a bakery because we’re mid-cross-country move and bunking in a hotel room? Been there.

One tradition that holds constant, though—through deployments and moves and family visits and everything in-between—is dessert. No matter what our holiday circumstances, I always, always, always bake a feast of Christmas treats starting on December 1st. Spritz cookies, Magic Squares, chocolate crinkle cookies, shortbread, eggnog cookies, gingerbread people, Mexican Wedding Cookies, Danish Puff, thumbprint cookies…

Seriously. I know no bounds.

My all time favorite Christmastime treat, though, are Nordy Bars. My mom made them during the holidays when my brothers and I were young, and I continue to make them each year for my family. According to legend, Nordy Bars were served at the Nordstrom Cafe back in the 80s and were supposedly a huge hit. While I can’t confirm their origin, I can tell you that they’re sweet and chewy and decadent and amazingly delicious.

I hope you’ll use the recipe below to bake up a batch for your family, and I hope you have a very happy holiday season! <3 nbsp="" p="">
Nordy Bars

½ cup butter
12 ounces butterscotch chips
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¾ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 ounces chocolate chips
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup chopped pecans

Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add butterscotch chips and brown sugar. Stir until melted -- do not boil. Let cool for ½ an hour. Add eggs and vanilla, then stir well. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients until just incorporated. Spread in a greased 9X13 glass dish, then bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes, checking for doneness in the center. When cool, cut into squares and refrigerate.

~*~

Kate's Note:

I'm definitely trying this recipe too. Wow! You know when something combines butterscotch chips and mini marshmallows it's going to be good. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe with all of us, Katy. I can't wait to get my hands on Kissing Max Holden.








No comments:

Post a Comment

© 2018 All Rights Reserved.